After March Event more SKUs or Fewer?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tigger11, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

Currently Apple has an incredible 67 different versions of iPads available, after the March event will we have fewer or more SKUs and why do you think that is true?

2. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Only Apple can answer such a question. No one here can give you a good answer.

3. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

To think, some people were worried when they kicked off iPads with 12 SKUs! (2 colors x 2 wifi/cell x 3 storage tiers)

4. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Who cares how many sku # will result?

Is that really a concern of yours?...if so, you obsess over minutia.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Early 90'es Apple would like to hire you.

6. Tigger11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually anyone and everyone on here can give a good answer. I want an opinion, that is all everyone has one, ever your incorrect answer is interesting.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 1, 2017 ---

Every store that sells Apple products for one group, every person who is going to try and go to said store on the first day and try and get the ipad they want for a second group, at this point I don't think any store carries every make and model, so its an issue. The hilarious thing on the responses so far, is the people that think this thread is a waste of time apparently and spent there valuable posting such in this thread. If I could figure out how to monetize this one, I'd put a hot tub next to the pool the UA fans paid for I think with the profits.

7. ericwn macrumors 65816

It can be argued that it's an even greater waste of your time to complain about those who provide you with some response.
    Personally I don't expect too many changes in the number of possible device configurations.

8. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

My expectations:

Fewer storage options in total (iPad Pro 9.7-inch only with one storage tier, potential iPad Mini also only one tier. The two remaining Pros with 3, 64-128 and 256). Same colour palette for all of them. And four sizes. 12.9, 10.5, 9.7, and 7.9. All will be under the Pro naming scheme, and won't get a number - they'll use roughly the same naming model as on the Macs, where it's not like the MacBook Pro 2, or anything. It's just the MacBook Pro, and then you can specify year of the model. The 9.7 will be a budget model and exist more as a continuation of the previous product stack with improvement, similar to Apple Watch Series 1 and iPhone SE, and the 7.9 inch model will also be budget, i.e. probably same price as the 9.7 inch model, but with the new processor (which I don't think the 9.7 one will get), instead using the screen size as the budget-factor. I think at the presentation, they'll reveal the 10.5, 12.9 and 7.9 inch models as new products, and then in the end when they reveal pricing and show them all side-by-side, they'll also mention "they join the 9.7 inch iPad, which we've refreshed in this way" - i.e. slightly higher clock speeds on the CPU and perhaps a bit more in terms of small improvements, but not much.

Overall number of variations?
    Can't be bothered calculating that, haha.
    It isn't like the 90's though, since the product lineup is still simple to figure out. It's not like each different variation of iPad has got a different name or anything. It's just that there are different colour and storage options for the same iPads. The iPad Pro 64GB doesn't perform differently to the iPad Pro 128GB and the Space-Grey doesn't perform differently to the Silver one. That was the case in the 90's. It's easy to figure out what iPad is right for you, and it wasn't easy to figure out what was right for you in the 90's.

9. Tigger11 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I have to sit in front of this computer and get paid time and a half so I might as well answer the thread. This site is one of the few that works through the firewalls.
    -Tig

10. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

... Sounds like a good work moral.

11. ericwn macrumors 65816

Bored at work? Maybe look for a more challenging opportunity.

12. Tigger11 thread starter macrumors 6502

That lost something in translation. Not sure what you are trying to say.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 2, 2017 ---
    Actually my job is not boring at all, just running a real long test on the new system, and someone has to sit here and be ready to turn it off in 3 minutes or less or it gets real exciting here. However since iPhones have cameras they aren't allowed in here, lots of sites are blocked for various reasons, so I started a thread about SKUs and ipads because I am going to update mine in March if we really get an update and was trying to figure out my chance of finding the model I want at one of my local Target stores.

13. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Was making a joke about perusing MacRumors at work whilst the firewall being set to block most sites. You know, cause it makes it sound like the company doesn't exactly want you to do that

14. Tigger11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually our lockout is a very stupid Bot that is keyed to prevent us from playing games on the internet, I had to have corporate "allow" me and the rest of my engineers access to Intel, Freescale, ARM and TI at one point because they had gaming mentioned somewhere in the website, something like "..a key component of new gaming system xxx" caused the people who provide every processor we use across every product to be banned from the system. Apparently the manager of the bot is a big Apple fan because every apple site comes through unblocked, but besides that its hit and miss.

15. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

That's actually kinda funny, but fair enough. Was just a joke from my side regardless.

16. bensisko macrumors 65816

Assuming there is a March Event...
    Assuming iPads are discussed and released...
    Assuming all iPad models from rumors are released at the same time (no holdouts until later in the year)...
    Assuming no new colors...
    Assuming no new iPad mini (but they keep the current gen)...

iPad Pro 12.9 - 15 (current) - 12 (new - assumption: eliminate the 32 GB model)
    iPad Pro 10.5 - 24 (assumption: 3 storage tiers, 4 colors)
    iPad Pro 9.7 - 24 (current)
    iPad 9.7 ("entry level") - 16 (assumption: 4 colors, 2 storage tiers)
    iPad Air 2 - 0 (assumption: elimination)
    iPad Mini 4 - 12 (current)
    iPad Mini 2 - 0 (assumption: elimination)

Not having individual models in each flavor for each cellular company seriously reduced the SKUs.

17. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

To the point of this thread: the number of sku#s on the new iPads won't make one iota of difference in determining if Target will stock the iPad you will order.

18. Bart Kela macrumors 6502a

Bart Kela

Nor will it determine whether or not your desired configuration will be available or Out Of Stock at any given time at a channel partner's local bricks-and-mortar store.

Since it appears that the OP is in the USA, the most reasonable course of action would be to order online directly from Apple.

19. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

That's a good question, but if they are planning to have four different sizes (even if only temporarily), they better do something about it or it'll be an inventory nightmare.

20. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

It's an Apple problem...why anyone else would care is beyond me.

21. Tigger11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, bufffilm, obviously you know more about how Target stocks iPads, then the district manager who went into a long discussion about it with me which led to me starting this thread. His issue is that though they used to stock multiple copies of "every" iPad, the recent explosion of SKUs have caused them to discontinue that approach, and go with a more complex system that has fewer colors and fewer memory options being available at the store. As for other comments about why am I not buying at Apple Store a) the line waiting in the rain most likely will be huge here at our outside mall (the dumbest invention of mankind) b) I get 10% off at target.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 8, 2017 ---
    I'm a stockholder and a consumer. It may affect when I can get the item when it comes out, also we know from the quarterly report that at least Tim is blaming iPad Pro shipping problems on SKU issues, so that is an issue as well.

22. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I still think it's a 'contrived' concern for you.

If/when you are ready to buy, place your order. Are you opposed to them shipping it to you?

And the mention of being a stockholder and consumer...so what? No relevance to anything.

23. Tigger11, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017

Tigger11 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am opposed to me not getting it in time for me to take it on my vacation, and I save more money if I buy it local vs ordering it from Target online. As for the other that is a silly comment, why shouldn't I and every other Apple Stock owner be bothered by issues that are effect sales of Apple products?

24. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

They need to clean up their product line across the board. The brilliance of Apple was their simplicity. They are quickly becoming Samsung. Too many options turns off consumers.