After Maverick upgrade, big problems

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by MikiSunshine, Oct 24, 2013.

1. MikiSunshine macrumors newbie

MikiSunshine

I had multiple issues installing the upgrade on my mid-2010 MacBook Pro. After having it ask me to setup a new login as if it were a new install on a new machine, I had to restore from my Time Machine backup. After that got hung up and multiple times it refusing to even load I finally ran Disk Utility and ran repair disk. Having all permissions and the disk repaired, it finally loaded.

There is nothing on computer for my login. So I logged in as Admin so I could at least see my folders. Apparently my old user is marked as a deleted user. And I can't access it because Mac is telling me I don't have permission? I'm logged in as admin, what more permission do I need to see everything?

I really need to access my documents, email, books! and to get things back to the way they were. This has already taken me a day. Any ideas on how I can get my user folder in-deleted and restored?

Can anyone help? Very frustrated.

2. MikiSunshine thread starter macrumors newbie

MikiSunshine

Bumping hoping someone will see this and can help me.

3. j0ester macrumors member

I say Partition the WHOLE drive and install Mavericks from a Bootable USB.

Then go to "Spotlight > Migration Assistant" - and use your Time Machine Backup (Hopefully it's on an External HDD) and transfer your Applications, Settings, and User Account to the new partition :)

4. MikiSunshine thread starter macrumors newbie

MikiSunshine

I don't have a reboot able USB and I'd like to see if there's a way to just move what I need to move to get my whole setup back. I had a similar issue when I installed Lion and I know that there's a way, I just don't remember how.

5. j0ester macrumors member

Are you talking about Target Disk Mode?

6. MikiSunshine thread starter macrumors newbie

MikiSunshine

I think I figured it out. I reset permissions on the folders using info. When I logged in under my username, I had to rebuild Library permissions but I seem to have gotten back my desktop and all my files. Yay. But it was a PITA. I'm having to resetup my doc and folder preferences but at least I have access to all my docs.

Now can anyone help me figure out why its so slow it reminds me of Windoze?

7. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I installed Mavericks on my 2012 MBA. It froze up my system and I was not able to get past the gray screen during start up. I had to take it to Genius Bar. I tried re-installing Mavericks which did not work. I re-installed ML and am using it now. Fail! I won't upgrade to Mavericks until they get a few updates out.

8. MikiSunshine thread starter macrumors newbie

MikiSunshine

More Maverick Drama

Unfortunately I don't have AppleCare anymore on my MacBook. But, after finally getting all permissions sorted out and getting my desktop and everything back, I went to sleep last night (this morning) around 4am. Woke up a few hours ago and this is what I opened my Macbook to.

[​IMG]

and fuzzy things that follow an open program as its moved around the screen.

[​IMG]

How do I fix this and is this going to happen every time the laptop goes to sleep and I wake it again???

I am getting really, really pissed at Maverick. Is there any way to go back to Snow Leopard? It wasn't broke and didn't need fixing. The few minor toys in Maverick are not worth this kind of headache!!!

9. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I re-installed Mountain Lion by restarting and selecting COMMAND > R and booting to recovery mode. This allowed me to re-install ML. I erased my HDD using disk utility before I re-installed ML (wiping Mavericks). I restored all my files from a Time Machine backup. Hope this helps.

10. MikiSunshine thread starter macrumors newbie

MikiSunshine

I'm hoping they come up with a solution soon. Apparently I'm not the only one with this problem. Right now I have too much to so to restore back to Lion. Perhaps next weekend when things slow down, if they haven't released a fix.

11. bicatu macrumors newbie

I have a similar problem

In my case when entering time machine with the drive from an airport extreme I see all dates but the arrows do not work and it does not allow me to access the files.

Any updates or tips on that?

12. Aragornii macrumors 6502

The time when my Macbook screen was behaving like that it was a failing logic board. I'd suggest dropping by the Genius Bar and having them take a look at it if there is an Apple Store near where you are.