After migration new user account can't authorize installations

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ZZ Bottom, May 31, 2012.

1. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

I know this has been answered before, but on google and MR forums I can't seem to find a similar post.

A co-worker upgraded to a new Mac Pro, and in the process of migrating decided to create a new main user account instead of keeping the old one. He migrated the old user account along side the new one, and then manually transferred the user folder's content.

Now when he installs software or updates, the permissions dialog won't accept his new user name/password (even though it's set as an administrator in Sys Prefs). Instead he has to keep typing in the old user name/password. Could someone help us resolve this?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I think a reset of the ACLs and home folder permissions is in order.

However, to do this, you'll need to boot to an install disc or the Recovery HD if the computer is running Lion. This command is buried in the password reset utility, available after the volume and a user account have been selected. You could also, after updating to 10.7.4, select the home folder in /Users, run Get Info and in Sharing & Permissions click the action icon and select apply to all enclosed items per this article.