After ML is released, how soon will rMBPs ship with it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JMC08, Jul 7, 2012.

1. JMC08 macrumors regular

I plan on going to an Apple store to buy a rMBP once they are selling them with Mountain Lion as the OS. How many days lag time should I expect from when its officially released to when it starts being on every Macbook?

2. medulla macrumors regular

I think it should be pretty immediate.

3. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Doubtful, depends on quantities at the time though.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

5. wethackrey macrumors 6502

If past releases are any guide, I'd guess it will be fairly quickly. Once the code gets frozen as golden master it will take a few days for Apple distribution channels (App store, etc.) to put it in play. Manufacturing will be changing over at the same time. By the time the software goes GA, manufacturing will probably already be in production with it. Considering they'll probably still be running a backlog at that point, there should be very little "stale" inventory in the channel. I think the time delay will probably be whatever the manufacturing lead time is at the time.

I'm curious why you'd wait for ML. Do you have some concerns about the MBPr on Lion?

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you're concerned with paying for OS X because it's coming very soon, Apple is offering a free upgrade to ML if you were unsure or unaware.

7. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

Your guess is as good as mine and Apple will ship ML with all new macbook pro's as soon as it can.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Usually takes a couple of weeks. Its not immediate because apple needs to create a master image and supply that to the manufacturer. Once that's done they'll start building ML based laptops, however there will still be Lion MBPs in the pipeline.

9. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

A couple of weeks ??? So, let's say ML comes out on July 24, one should wait till August to get a MBP with the new OS ... oh my oh my oh my

10. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

You get a free update anyway so you could download it from the appstore and then burn it to a SDHC card (my plan) and then do a clean install or an upgrade.

It's a moot point if it comes shipped with it or not and it's a small inconvenience to wipe/update anyway in the grand scheme of things.

11. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

It's gonna be my first Mac ever and I'd really like to start the new experience with a brand new computer and a brand new OS, I really hope to get my MBPr with ML already installed ...

12. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

If you struggle if it comes with 10.7 and not 10.8 then a lot of people here myself included would be able to help you out anyway.

13. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

Well then thank you in advance ... I'm really excited (and worried) for a lot of things : it's gonna be a huge change coming from a HP Pavilion (please don't make fun of me everyone ...), it's gonna be a huge expense for me (never payed so much in a single laptop in my life ... 3.000 euros, I must be fool) and it's also gonna be a looong wait (which will make me go crazy a little bit more than I already am right now !)

14. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

Once you go mac you never look back ;)

15. noteple macrumors 65816

Depends on the length our your pipe line.

3-4 days from china.
    Retailers (not Apple) would have to deplete old stock first.

When you see it in the Apple store displays the update is flowing.

16. JMC08 thread starter macrumors regular

Just wanted to start brand new and not start migrating/organizing from my PC until I have everything set on 10.8.

I'll probably just buy once it comes out and then download and upgrade as the very first thing I do. There's no way there could be problems that way, right?

17. wethackrey macrumors 6502

:) Well... there's the issue of hopping onto the first release of a new OS version. You can be sure that there WILL be issues that Apple will fix once the code gets into wide distribution. From that point of view, there's probably less risk sticking with Lion for the first few weeks.

But, having said that, Apple is pretty good these days at keeping new releases pretty solid. Your "single migration without updating the OS" strategy is certainly sound.

18. billpaxton macrumors member

billpaxton

agreed, and im in the same boat. it is a pain during the install of lion having to login to the app store to verify, and with SL you couldn't you had to install leopard then upgrade....

19. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

Now I'm wondering when would be the better timing to place my order : I fear a lot of people is waiting for ML to get a MBPr (just like me) ... the 3-4-5 weeks wait could easily become longer, holy schnabu !

20. doh123 macrumors 65816

there will be a few weeks where you won't know what your getting... its its a CTO from the factory, it'll probably have ML, but others thats been in the chain for a bit won't.

but why wait? Getting ML on it after you have it doesn't cost anything. Just get the updater from the MAS, then some night when your going to bed double click the updater app and let it upgrade for you.