Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gettingmy1stmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Harrison, AR
Last week I began getting messages on Windows Vista that instructed me to activate my copy of Vista or risk having my computer shut down. After unsuccessfully trying on my own to find a solution, I broke down and called Microsoft Tech Support. I got someone in India who was obviously reading from a script, was incapable of thinking for herself, and could not even begin to comprehend the problem I was facing.

She kept asking for numbers from the install screen. After telling her that the software was installed almost a year ago she said "Yes, I understand" and proceeded to ask me for the same information I told her I couldn't give her because I wasn't installing the software. During the discussion in which I was getting incredibly frustrated, I got the blue screen...

After using a loner laptop for about a week and finally getting the prognosis on my computer which, in my opinion, wasn't worth fixing, I bit the bullet and bought my Mac.

I was planning on getting one this fall for grad school anyway; this situation, combined with a juicy tax refund, just sped up the process for me. Ben at the Apple Store was a great help to me and even hooked me up with a discount since I'm a teacher and a student. I should have my new Macbook by the end of next week and look forward to joing all of you in Mactopia!!!

gettingmy1stmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Harrison, AR
agreed, Apple RAM is priced to high.

just curious, what will you be going to grad school for?

I am currently in the process of enrolling at the University of Central Arkansas to take part in the SMLA program. It's for school leadership and administration. My goal is to one day be a principal.

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
as far as your vista problem, if you tell them that you f disked your computer and need to install vista again, they will provide you with an activation code no questions asked.

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
I've never heard of that problem with Vista. Are you sure you weren't using a demo copy of Vista or an early release candidate (RCx)?

I know that after a certain time period, my RC1 copy deactivated itself as it said it would upon initially installing it. The demo copy will deactivate itself within 30 days of install, unless you give it an activation code.

gettingmy1stmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Harrison, AR
I've never heard of that problem with Vista. Are you sure you weren't using a demo copy of Vista or an early release candidate (RCx)?

I know that after a certain time period, my RC1 copy deactivated itself as it said it would upon initially installing it. The demo copy will deactivate itself within 30 days of install, unless you give it an activation code.

The software had been installed for almost a year and it was activated as soon as it was installed. Microsoft was absolutely NO HELP, and I don't have to worry about my Windows problems anymore. My Mac will arrive on Tuesday.

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
Ben at the Apple Store was a great help to me and even hooked me up with a discount since I'm a teacher and a student. I should have my new Macbook by the end of next week and look forward to joing all of you in Mactopia!!!

Welcome and enjoy! I'm very glad you weren't one of the ones on here constantly asking about "when will it be updated", and never actually buying it due to FUD. The switchover is not difficult from MS, there are lots of good tutorials on Apple's web site, and as you've seen, there are plenty of generous people on these boards who are more than willing to lend an experienced hand. (Now if only Tuesday will hurry up and get here, right?)
Morod

gettingmy1stmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Harrison, AR
Welcome and enjoy! I'm very glad you weren't one of the ones on here constantly asking about "when will it be updated", and never actually buying it due to FUD. The switchover is not difficult from MS, there are lots of good tutorials on Apple's web site, and as you've seen, there are plenty of generous people on these boards who are more than willing to lend an experienced hand. (Now if only Tuesday will hurry up and get here, right?)
Morod

About Tuesday...I KNOW!!! I'm checking the shipment state like every hour on the hour hoping that my macbook will arrive on Monday instead of Tuesday. I'm like a little kid waiting for Christmas.

gettingmy1stmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Harrison, AR

BTW, I was using Windows Vista RC02.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
BTW, I was using Windows Vista RC02.

So you switched because early, unfinished software which you did not pay for wasn't working correctly?

No wonder the call centre person had trouble with you - they'll be there to support proper retail purchasers. The final version of Windows Vista is quite good in my opinion.

gettingmy1stmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Harrison, AR
So you switched because early, unfinished software which you did not pay for wasn't working correctly?

No wonder the call centre person had trouble with you - they'll be there to support proper retail purchasers. The final version of Windows Vista is quite good in my opinion.

The software was obviously finished in the eyes of microsoft, or it wouldn't have been released to the public. RC02, the version I got, was the first public release. Many of the drivers for my hardware caused conflicts, my digital media files didn't work properly upon upgrading, and after switching to Vista my computer would routinely lock up after going into sleep mode. The activation problem that Microsoft Tech Support was unable to help me with was the "straw the broke the camel's back."

And btw, if Vista is so great, why did PC World publish the following statement?

PC World listed it(Windows Vista) #1 of "the 15 biggest tech disappointments of 2007," saying that "many users are clinging to XP like shipwrecked sailors to a life raft, while others who made the upgrade are switching back."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.