After my try-on appointment... I am a little disappointed.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kingofwale, Apr 11, 2015.

1. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

I mean, I'm still getting one, I wanted one for years (drilling over other andriod wear) and was set on buying one after the keynote.

but the watch doesn't look as amazing as I thought.

*the looks of it isn't as well made as I thought (at least the model I pre-ordered it)
    *the interface isn't as easy to work, It feel more like a non-apple product the way some of the features are. (i.e. in Apple TV remote app, it tells me to swipe in either of the 4 directions, but I swiped it for more than 5 minutes without getting it to work)
    *it's thicker than I thought, so 38mm looks weirdly disproportionate from the side

heck, I'm still getting my space grey model, but now I wonder if people might be slightly disappointed (like myself) that this Apple Watch is not as "magical" as they thought it would be

P.S.

a little comment about the link bracelet. i thought it feel cheap because it doesn't have the weight to it that I expected from a link bracelet, it's light and the click mechanics (to close it) doesn't feel as solid as those on my mechanical watch I have right now.

2. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

Man I thought just the opposite. I used to own a Samsung watch and Apple watch ten times better than that first gen I had from Samsung. Everything work seem less for me. I thought look great and felt great. The only thing didn't really know about was the tactile vibrations seem low

3. kingofwale thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

never owned a smart-watch, so i couldn't comment, but every review said apple watch is the best. no reason to doubt that.

have you tried to send heart-beat? the vibration is actually ridiculously strong. I never did it when wearing it, but on the live-demo, you can feel it by pressing your fingers on the underside of the watch. Hapetic is very powerful. (and slightly creepy if i were to get this from someone) lol

4. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

It's human nature to expect that something you want passionately is going to perfectly fit your expectations. I bet you will end up liking it though. There are so many things to play with on it and the cheap model does everything the $17,000 USD model will do (for that reason alone I am amazed).

5. LongZheng macrumors newbie

LongZheng

The store demos are running some sort of special demo software so it may be buggier/older than the final version that will be shipping on the watches. It's possible you may have encountered a bug with the demo watch.

6. kingofwale thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

oh, I know I will, i already found a few neat tricks I can do with this that I will use it quite a lot.

* health monitoring, I think it's great, very simple to use and easy to navigate.
    * octopus watch face is stunning, that will be my default screen
    * text message is surprisingly good,

but on the negative side, I could not get siri to launch whatsoever, maybe it's the demo

7. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Was it even connected to an Apple TV?

And it really took you over 5 minutes before you gave up?

8. kingofwale thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

also I think the demo unit crashed (hung) for about 20 seconds or so... and since there's no "off" button, I had noooo idea what to do in that situation.

this is when i was in "stock" app. it just randomly stopped responding to anything I pressed.

----------

felt like 5 minutes. but more like 20 swipes, then some hard presses, and then double swipes. ;)

I think it was, when I force pressed, it gave me the option of 2 devices it's connected to.

9. 123playcard macrumors newbie

When you get used to it, I am sure it will be better

Remember this is the first time you try it and it runs on a not-final version Watch OS

10. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

My Apple Store had a row of watches to try against the wall.... the first one I tried, I clicked the 'weather' app, the watch put up a busy cursor for like 5-10 seconds, then a weather type screen with no information. I thought - weird. Must be something wrong with this watch. Yep, I tried other things, nothing worked....

Then I moved over to the next watch, and weather came up instantly... and everything else worked fine.

I tried a few others - just the original one I tried didn't work, all the others did. So, yes, it does appear there are a few glitches. It could have been a bad watch, paired wrongly, or some software bug. Having a buggy one won't be a normal watch experience when we get our watches.

11. kaess macrumors member

Assuming that there was no Apple TV present, the remote app was functioning perfectly fine. Those swipes move the cursor and/or scroll through menus on the AppleTV. The interface on the Apple Watch itself (or on the iPhone remote app) does not change with those swipes.

12. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

Couldn't get Siri to launch? Lucky you. I can never get her to do what I want * so that isn't a feature I would miss if it doesn't work. The rest of it all sounds awesome.

*Just offers to go to the internet and look it up. I can do that myself.

13. CodeSpyder macrumors 6502a

CodeSpyder

From what I've heard, the software for the Apple Watch is buggy (go figure) and an update will come out to fix issues. Apple even sent buggy Apple Watches to their favored reviewers. They were not fully enthralled, from what I've read. But, I still plunked down my dollars for a nice stainless steel version with Milanese loop. I hope a software update comes out before April 24. We shall see.

14. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

"Apple even sent buggy Apple Watches to their favored reviewers."

Not sure what you mean by this. If there are software issues and the bug fix update isn't ready yet there's not much Apple can do outside of delaying the reviews. Maybe they should have done that. Honestly I think some people that got review units shouldn't have. Just like the MacBook. Don't give me reviews from someone who needs lots of ports/power and really just wanted a MBA with retina screen. Obviously they're not going to like it and even if the machine was perfect for what it was it wouldn't suit their needs so it wouldn't be perfect for them.

15. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I believe their is a setting in the watch to change the strength of the vibrations.

----------

Sounds like the PS1 with dual shock controller playing Metal Gear Solid where the game wuld let you feel your heartbeat. It was weird at first but so cool.

16. 576316 macrumors 601

I just got back from my appointment too and it solidified why I don't want one. First of all, the Apple Store employee had never even touched one and it was her first try-on appointment so the whole thing was just awkward, she didn't know anything about it or really what to tell us. None of the try-on models would even light up or switch on and she didn't know why. We couldn't try any Watch we wanted because they didn't even have a few of the models in the store (42mm SS with Milanese was one of them??) You can tell the employees are not trained in assisting customers to try on jewellery, that's not their job. Their job is to sell computers. It's all wrong.

Secondly, it just didn't feel like an Apple product. Not on my wrist and not in my hand. It didn't feel like something Apple should have made. It's tiny, slow and downright awkward to use. None of the features actually worked on the fully working demo model, she couldn't work out how to reply to a message and the Force Touch with tempormental. The interface is not intuitive and the digital crown doesn't make interacting with it easier.

Overall, I left with a bad taste in my mouth and worry. I'm worried because I don't think it's a product category Apple should have entered into and I'm worried that most of the pre-orderers yesterday rushed into a purchase without making an informed decision.

The whole thing feels wrong and I am so disappointed. I love Apple to bits but...what IS this? Avoid. I'm really hoping things get better with the second generation - which will no doubt show its face by the end of this year.

17. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

What is this?

It's a fantastic product and I had a very well informed and useful Apple Store employee. After my try-on appointment, I'm even more excited to receive mine!

18. SHNXX macrumors 68000

I agree with you.
    The employees didn't know what they were doing at all and what the hell is the point of having a demo that doesn't work?

19. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Siri worked better on the watch than it does my phone. I'm not sure what that's all about.

20. Mr.C macrumors 601

My experience was the total opposite and I went early yesterday morning around 11:00AM.

21. 576316 macrumors 601

Well it sounds like you had a well prepared store. Mine was a mess.

22. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

It's weird how the experience varies based on the employee selling the watch. Maybe they should've hired employees with greater interest in jewelry to handle the Apple Watch. The guy I worked with was so good that I ended up buying an additional band for $150 that I just knew I wasn't going to do. He doesn't even know that he sold me a band I had ZERO interest in before my interaction with him. He told me I was his first customer. He just seemed so professional for someone so young. It was like he had handled jewelry in the past. I left very happy. So I can see why Apple may want to give Employees a watch to wear while at work to help with their knowledge of them because it really is a different kind of experience a watch VS phone or Laptop.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The link bracelet is said to be thinner than it looks in pics but it's heavy. In fact, at up to 65g (for the 38mm bracelet) and up to 75g (for the 42mm bracelet) it's the heaviest band in the collections.

24. kingofwale thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

the guy I dealt with was very nice and very excited about the product, however the store is a mess (can't find a Space Black model anywhere). and he doesn't know much about how it works.

25. jaypr macrumors member

I must admit I was a little disappointed to with my try on appointment. The sport feels extremely light and dare I say cheap. The strap is thin and doesn't feel nice either. It's feels nothing like a premium Apple product. The stainlesss steel version with the stainlesss steel strap felt heavier and better on the wrist, but the face and bezel still feels cheap to me.

The software was all ok, but I came away feeling pretty disappoint with the whole experience and unlike with the iPhone's, it really doesn't feel like the kind of quality product you would expect from Apple.