Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Epic Games today announced that the long-in-development survival crafting game Fortnite will finally launch with paid early access on July 25, coming to Mac, PC, Xbox One, and PS4. Epic Games creative director Darren Sugg said that Fortnite will eventually "evolve into a free-to-play title during 2018," but for those who want to play the game this summer, a few paid bundles will be up for offer.

There are four tiers that players can choose from to pre-order Fortnite on the game's website, including a Standard Edition ($39.99), Deluxe Edition ($59.99), Super Deluxe Edition ($89.99) and Limited Edition ($149.99). The differences between each tier mainly focus on player-boosting statuses as they get more expensive, including XP boosts, extra inventory slots, and even additional versions of the game for friends.

Anyone who pre-orders will get a four-day head start on everyone else, with access opening up on July 21.
It is our intent that Fortnite will evolve into a free-to-play title during 2018. However, we wanted to give people the opportunity to gain Early Access to the game along with exclusive stuff and in-game events that come with Founder's Packs.

So if you want to come hang out with some cool folks, get tons of cool loot, and help make Fortnite more awesome ... jump on board and help us build the community. Still not sure? That's cool too. You decide when you want to jump onto the train. We mean it. No BS. We will be here when you are ready to build kick-ass forts with your friends!
The game itself is a survival experience where players spend the daytime looting materials to build forts, which will eventually provide some form of protection from enemies as nighttime falls. Players can build any kind of fort they desire with the game's deep editing tools, and defend themselves with a selection of long- and close-range weapons like sniper rifles, rocket launchers, lasers, katanas, and shotguns.

There are four core classes in Fortnite, including Outlanders, Soldiers, Ninjas, and Constructors, which encourage teamwork among players as they try to survive. Sugg said that the Fortnite team plans to add new content "monthly(ish)," to the game across all platforms, with events, new heroes, new creatures, traps, and weapons.

Epic Games revealed Fortnite in December of 2011, and showcased the game onstage during Apple's WWDC keynote in 2015. During the demo, Fortnite was used as an example of the graphics prowess offered by Metal, which Apple had just debuted at the time on Mac. Epic Games also released a trailer for the game that year using footage captured with a Mac Pro.

For more information on Fortnite, check out the game's website, which includes a look into the world of the game as well as its characters.

Article Link: After Onstage Demo at WWDC 2015, Epic Games' 'Fortnite' Will Officially Launch on Mac This July

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Just another game that promotes violence and makes weapons "fun". These game companies are ignoring how the constant exposure to this is not good for young people. But yah, I know what you'll say... "not me, so what's the problem?"

Reactions: adib

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
It's amazing how much time people seem to have to spend to play games.
I hardly have time to catch up the 6 daily card games in Solitaire.
But nonetheless, very impressive game.

Reactions: sudo1996

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Just another game that promotes violence and makes weapons "fun".
But they are fun!
[doublepost=1496943511][/doublepost]
High school kids. When I was in high school, I had enough time on my hands to do anything, and I unfortunately wasted a lot of it playing Minecraft with my friends. Anyway, this game looks cool, and I'm interested in how Apple seems to be focusing on games suddenly. I don't consider games very worthwhile, but they push development for other graphics-related things.

Reactions: RowdyYates

linkmaster02

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2009

If you look at how much time the average person spends watching TV, there's definitely enough time for games. If it's what you enjoy, you make time for it.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Just another game that promotes violence and makes weapons "fun". These game companies are ignoring how the constant exposure to this is not good for young people. But yah, I know what you'll say... "not me, so what's the problem?"
I read something that talked about how previously before video games people blamed violence on movies, and before movies tv, and believe it or not books were blamed for violence before tv.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

I was always under the impression that these children wouldn't be playing any of these games if their dopey parents weren't buying them and then using the television and computer as a babysitter. As an adult, however, I can personally play whatever I want without a nanny telling me what should and shouldn't be fun.

Reactions: Yvan256

earthTOmitchel

Contributing Editor
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
Louisiana
It's a hobby. I don't speak for everyone who plays video games, but you make time for what you enjoy in your life, same as anything else.

Reactions: ikir

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
I read something that talked about how previously before video games people blamed violence on movies, and before movies tv, and believe it or not books were blamed for violence before tv.

I'm quite certain the vast majority can separate reality from a video game. I do think it might be more difficult when we move into the realm of VR in conjunction with more and more realistic graphics. So we shall of course always try to talk to the kids and teach them the importance of empathy.

I would't complain if we only had guns in video games and none in real life. I think it's quite fun to shoot things in a virtual world, but I don't even like touching a gun in reality.

Last edited:

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I just love multiplayer games where you can pay to get ahead of other players. It teaches a very valuable lesson about class warfare and late stage capitalism.
[doublepost=1496993290][/doublepost]That said, this game looks really cool. Like a third person version of Rebuild + minecraft + collaborative shooter and even tower defence.

Reactions: ikir

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014

Just another person wanting someone/something else to raise their children for them so require everything to cater to a younger audience. The entire world can't be G rated just so that you (not YOU specifically, but parents in general) can throw technology at kids as a crutch for active parenting.

Suspended
Feb 5, 2011
Europe
I was excited about this game, until I've read these messages on YouTube:
Shivaxi1 week ago
I'm rather disappointed actually. Been in the closed alpha for a while, and the game is good and all but, they really dumbed it down from what it used to be, and also a month before release now they come out with this new terrible UI to quickly make it easier for consoles but ruining the UI for PC players.

Fellhawk1 week ago
I've been in the closed alpha for a while too but stopped playing a month or so ago. I'll update and check it out tonight, it was super fun at the time.

0skillz1tube1 week ago
similar story here. turning the "heroes" into an RNG card thing (instead of letting us spec our perks) wasn't the only straw but it was probably the final straw that made me take a break and never come back to it.

Patrick Radtke1 week ago
Shivaxi Yep, the new UI is bullsh*t in my opinion. Even for ps4 is this is questionable...

Joppsta3601 week ago
Looks like a fee to pay model going to be in game.

Michael1 week ago (edited)
I just found out about this so forgive me for my ignorance but can anyone tell me how online multiplayer works in this game? I'm hoping it puts u in a world where there are other players around the world or in the country where u can choose to fight against them or work together. Judging by this trailer it seems it's only limited to you and a small group of people on your team.

TheDeeGee1 week ago
I just uninstalled it myself, been having access since OT8. Nothing has changed since then except a garbage Console UI for PC. Game will be dead before it reaches F2P in 2018.

[...]

0skillz1tube1 week ago (edited)
How it used to be: When you started you could choose from 2 characters, Constructor or Soldier. You could even choose to have male or female and rename them - but only you could see the custom name you gave any of your characters, other players did not see your character names. As you progressed through the game you would unlock the ability to have more than 1 character slotted to choose from to take into battle. You would also eventually unlock all 4 character types (Ninja and Outlander) as you progressed.

Once you had a character chosen/slotted in the game's menu system, you could use experience points (not sure exactly the type of points but think they were used only for perks) to choose what perks (character traits) any of your slotted characters had. As you progressed in the game you earned more points and could assign more perks to your characters but could never assign every available perk to a character... this character perk system was similar to how many, many other games have done forever.

Under the old system it was possible to have 2 characters of the same type slotted to play with, Constructor for instance, 1 perked to have stronger combat/fighting ability, and your other slotted constructor perked to be more powerful at building/defense. Each character type (Constructor, Soldier, Ninja, Outlander) had their own unique set of perks/abilities to choose from and I think there were at least 25-30 different perks/abilities in the old system - 5 rows of 5 or 6 perks for each character if my memory is accurate.

This is just a general/basic idea of how it worked, i haven't played at all since they turned the characters/appearances/perks into RNG cards about a year ago, OT7 i think, so I can't recall exactly the options we had for perks... but it was SOOO much better than having Random Number Generator BS for everything (card system) like it is now.

Many that had access to the open testing complained about this RNG crap in the forums and in-game chat but... well... the devs "have a vision" I guess that doesn't appeal to me at all. It's so sad because the game was really fun to play when I could choose which character type and gender I would use and also what abilities/perks they could have. When they told us that they were also making clothing/style variations for every character type I thought it was pretty cool... but they took away our ability to actually choose what we think is best and made us slaves to an RNG system that, as you should expect, gives you worthless/unappealing crap to be forced to play with 99% of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.