After Onstage Demo at WWDC 2015, Epic Games' 'Fortnite' Will Officially Launch on Mac This July

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 8, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Epic Games today announced that the long-in-development survival crafting game Fortnite will finally launch with paid early access on July 25, coming to Mac, PC, Xbox One, and PS4. Epic Games creative director Darren Sugg said that Fortnite will eventually "evolve into a free-to-play title during 2018," but for those who want to play the game this summer, a few paid bundles will be up for offer.

There are four tiers that players can choose from to pre-order Fortnite on the game's website, including a Standard Edition ($39.99), Deluxe Edition ($59.99), Super Deluxe Edition ($89.99) and Limited Edition ($149.99). The differences between each tier mainly focus on player-boosting statuses as they get more expensive, including XP boosts, extra inventory slots, and even additional versions of the game for friends.

Anyone who pre-orders will get a four-day head start on everyone else, with access opening up on July 21.
    The game itself is a survival experience where players spend the daytime looting materials to build forts, which will eventually provide some form of protection from enemies as nighttime falls. Players can build any kind of fort they desire with the game's deep editing tools, and defend themselves with a selection of long- and close-range weapons like sniper rifles, rocket launchers, lasers, katanas, and shotguns.

There are four core classes in Fortnite, including Outlanders, Soldiers, Ninjas, and Constructors, which encourage teamwork among players as they try to survive. Sugg said that the Fortnite team plans to add new content "monthly(ish)," to the game across all platforms, with events, new heroes, new creatures, traps, and weapons.

Epic Games revealed Fortnite in December of 2011, and showcased the game onstage during Apple's WWDC keynote in 2015. During the demo, Fortnite was used as an example of the graphics prowess offered by Metal, which Apple had just debuted at the time on Mac. Epic Games also released a trailer for the game that year using footage captured with a Mac Pro.

For more information on Fortnite, check out the game's website, which includes a look into the world of the game as well as its characters.

Article Link: After Onstage Demo at WWDC 2015, Epic Games' 'Fortnite' Will Officially Launch on Mac This July

2. captain cadet macrumors 6502

3. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Just another game that promotes violence and makes weapons "fun". These game companies are ignoring how the constant exposure to this is not good for young people. But yah, I know what you'll say... "not me, so what's the problem?"

4. ikir macrumors 6502a

I was waiting for it, it changed s lot since 2015 WWDC

5. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

It's one of those games that I kind of forgot was even still happening, but am super excited to be reminded about it. The new E3 trailer looks really really cool.

6. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Then don’t let your kids play it. Simple. Parental controls.

7. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

If you don't like it, don't buy. Simple.

8. Kajje macrumors 6502a

Kajje

It's amazing how much time people seem to have to spend to play games.
    I hardly have time to catch up the 6 daily card games in Solitaire.
    But nonetheless, very impressive game.

9. Janichsan macrumors 6502a

Janichsan

Oh dear... the game seems rife with microtransactions. No, thanks.

10. sudo1996 Suspended

sudo1996

But they are fun!
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2017 ---
    High school kids. When I was in high school, I had enough time on my hands to do anything, and I unfortunately wasted a lot of it playing Minecraft with my friends. Anyway, this game looks cool, and I'm interested in how Apple seems to be focusing on games suddenly. I don't consider games very worthwhile, but they push development for other graphics-related things.

11. linkmaster02 macrumors newbie

If you look at how much time the average person spends watching TV, there's definitely enough time for games. If it's what you enjoy, you make time for it.

12. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

I read something that talked about how previously before video games people blamed violence on movies, and before movies tv, and believe it or not books were blamed for violence before tv.

13. Kaibelf macrumors 68000

Kaibelf

I was always under the impression that these children wouldn't be playing any of these games if their dopey parents weren't buying them and then using the television and computer as a babysitter. As an adult, however, I can personally play whatever I want without a nanny telling me what should and shouldn't be fun.

14. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

It's a hobby. I don't speak for everyone who plays video games, but you make time for what you enjoy in your life, same as anything else.

15. star-affinity, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017

star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

I'm quite certain the vast majority can separate reality from a video game. I do think it might be more difficult when we move into the realm of VR in conjunction with more and more realistic graphics. So we shall of course always try to talk to the kids and teach them the importance of empathy.

I would't complain if we only had guns in video games and none in real life. I think it's quite fun to shoot things in a virtual world, but I don't even like touching a gun in reality.

16. Sylvan macrumors regular

This looks pretty neat. I wonder who would spend 150 for the limited version. That sounds nuts.

17. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

I just love multiplayer games where you can pay to get ahead of other players. It teaches a very valuable lesson about class warfare and late stage capitalism.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 9, 2017 ---
    That said, this game looks really cool. Like a third person version of Rebuild + minecraft + collaborative shooter and even tower defence.

18. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Just another person wanting someone/something else to raise their children for them so require everything to cater to a younger audience. The entire world can't be G rated just so that you (not YOU specifically, but parents in general) can throw technology at kids as a crutch for active parenting.

19. Radoo macrumors regular

I was excited about this game, until I've read these messages on YouTube:

20. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

Give us Destiny 2 (on macOS, using Metal 2) instead! :)