After OS X?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Squilly, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

I feel like OS X has been around since the revolution of Apple products. Or am I wrong? Has there been an OS IX if you got my drift? Will there be an OS XI? What comes after 10.9? 11.0? :confused:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, before Mac OS X there was OS 9, OS 8, etc.

This should answer most of your questions: History of Mac OS

3. Comeagain?, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012

Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

There was a Mac OS System 7...8...9.... Then "Mac OS X" (now "OS X"). Although we can't really predict if/when OS XI will come.

4. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Apple won't force themselves in to a major revamp just because of a number.

It'll be 10.10, 10.11, etc until they want to change it.

5. Jkeeley1 macrumors newbie

Maybe once they hit OS X "Liger", they'll make the jump to OS 11

6. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

OS X will be around until there's a need to replace it. I don't see anything on the horizon just yet that will demand that change.

OS 9 got retired because it was ancient in terms of architecture - not multi user, which made security it for internet use pretty hard. No memory protection, co-operative multi-tasking, etc.

All valid trade-offs back in 1984 when memory was limited and CPU power was minimal, but a huge liability when trying to secure a machine in a hostile networked environment.

OS X was massively ahead of its time when released, and is still at the forefront today. It has proven portable to multiple CPU types, is endian independent, supports fat binaries, etc.

Unless there is some revolutionary new UI paradigm invented, I do not expect OS X to be retired.

7. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

I know it's been 15 years and that's a completely legitimate name, but that just looks so weird.

System 7. In my heart, it will always be System 7.

8. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

I'm sorry. I was not around (well, at least not in the Mac community... I was one) then, I only know from Internet articles, and wrote that post off the top of my head.