after pawning/unlocking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by shiunn, Jul 30, 2008.

1. shiunn macrumors 6502

Hi ppl,
    Got a quick question. I've pawned and unlocked my 1st gen phone. And I tried inserting my friend's sim card (bt online?) into my phone. Switched it back on, and it says something "simcard locked", and you can press either "ok" or "unlock"
    Well, since it's my friend's simcard, I went for the safer choice, ie "ok". If I had pressed "unlock", will it do anything to the simcard? I thought unlocking is all done on the phone's side, and it shouldn't care what simcard is inserted.
    please explain

Thanks!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can have what is called a "SIM lock" on a SIM card.

Don't ask me what it is; the iPhone lets you do it normally, but the only unlocking I understand is carrier unlocking.

3. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you elaborate the "the iPhone lets you do it normally" please?

4. bdsmyth macrumors regular

Just slap your friend. He/she has a password on their actually SIM card and didn't tell you what it was. I know this because I have one too and its the same messge I get every time I turn on my phone. Just ask your friend for their password (the one he/she enters when they normally turn on their phone)

Cheers!

5. matov macrumors newbie

matov

In some parts of the world, the strange thing is a sim card with no password (it´s called PIN code).

If you put it wrong 3 times, the sim card gets locked.

Then you have to use a 8(10?) digit PUK code. If you enter PUK code 10 times wrong, then the sim card becomes useless.

6. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

i've finally got my hand on my own foreign simcard and it works. yay!

but my worry is now with restoring my backup to my 3G when I go back to using O2. i worry that all the pawning stuffs will get restored over...and create a mess. any ideas?