After Reading pdf on Ipad I cannot copy paste from pdf on Mac anymore!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by annamac, Apr 30, 2012.

1. annamac macrumors member

Guys, I discovered a problem: I have plenty of pdf's that I store on dropbox. On my ipad, I open them on Goodreader, and mark them up, then sync them back to dropbox. When I then try to copy and paste something from those pdf's I only get symbols (but not BEFORE I read them on ipad, only after the sync).
    This applies to pdfs/docs with fonts not stored on the ipad, I think - it gets displayed perfectly, but through the ipad iteration loses the copy/paste readability for a word processor.
    I cannot install a font on the ipad, and I cannot change the font in the pdfs not produced by myself (can I)?
    What's the loophole for that? does the pdf file also lose searchability through this?

2. Capt T macrumors 6502a

are you 'flattening' the PDF when you upload it back to dropbox? That would cause it to be read only.

3. annamac thread starter macrumors member

no, I just sync the folder with the pdf back to dropbox.
    I googled the issue, and people said it happens when the font isn't installed on the mac, but I have the font on the mac, and the ipad shows it correctly, but somehow it seems to lose information when being saved/worked on on the ipad???

----------

and: I can still highlight the text and copy it out, but it only pastes symbols in any text processor... (and fonts are embedded in the pdf)