Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SLR2009

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Hi, for a while now I noticed that when importing photos into Iphoto, sometimes the importing process will hang or take a long time to finish. I would usually have to close Iphoto and import the photos again. My Iphoto Library is about 70GB.

I decided to rebuild my Iphoto Library hoping that it would fix those issues. It took several hours to rebuild. Afterwards I opened Iphoto and noticed that when enlarging alot of my photos, there was a blur in the photo before it would display.

This mostly occurs with my large sized photos. I never had this before. I decided to import some photos that are already in Iphoto (ones that when enlarged have a blur) from my picture folder.

When I enlarged them there was no blur. Should I try rebuilding my Iphoto Library again but this time just select "rebuild all of the photos' thumbnails". I also notice that some of the thumbnails are blurry. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
What is the file size of the blurry images, and do you notice if the blurry images have a clearer duplicate?

It's been awhile (and many iPhoto updates ago) but I had something similar happen to my Dad's computer. It turns out that the thumbnail files were being duplicated and coming up as a regular picture. I got rid of them fairly quickly because the file size of the blurry duplicates was about a tenth the original file.

SLR2009

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
More like artifacts than a blur

Thanks for the help. I would like to add that it's more like artifacts then a blur. The photos are all sizes but most with these artifacts are over 4 mb's. Not all of the thumbnails display this. Those photos when enlarged display these artifacts before it's clear. I appreciate the help.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
My Iphoto Library is about 70GB.

You might be hitting limitations of iPhoto.
As far as the blur is concerned - i thought that was standard practise - You can see it happen in iPhoto, and also in Quick Preview mode in the Finder.

it's loading up the picture. Maybe if you leave it a bit it'll cache the larger versions in the background.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
You will need to post a "before" and an "after" example for us to decipher what you are talking about. Jpeg images will have artifacts unless you turn off compression completely. iPhoto never touches your original images. They should be in your iPhoto library someplace. You can browse to your home folder, then to Pictures then to iPhoto Library. Optionclick and pick "show contents". Be careful in there! Just look or copy things out, don't move things around if you want iPhoto to work next time you try to use it!

You should be able to browse to the originals of the images. Of course this depends on whether you have iPhoto set to copy images to your iPhoto library when you import them. If this is not the case, you should have the original images lying around somewhere and can post a "before" using the original image and an "after" as it looks in iPhoto. No need to zoom them for us. Just post a couple of examples and we can zoom them ourselves.

I just noticed. Whoa! A 70 gig iPhoto library! Obviously you have it set to copy images to iPhoto Library when you import them. My iPhoto Library is over 50 gig and iPhoto stopped working correctly for me. I'm planning on spending some time with Apple on the phone trying to work out how to make it work with 100+ gig of photos and if they can't help me with the problem, I'll have to move on to Picasa or another solution.

SLR2009

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
You might be hitting limitations of iPhoto.
As far as the blur is concerned - i thought that was standard practise - You can see it happen in iPhoto, and also in Quick Preview mode in the Finder.

it's loading up the picture. Maybe if you leave it a bit it'll cache the larger versions in the background.

Thanks for the help.

When should Iphoto cache the larger versions? Could it take days or longer?

The artifacts appeared after I rebuild the Iphoto library. I never noticed it before. The artifacts on the thumbnails don't go away but when I enlarge a photo there's artifacts for a second before it clears. I selected "Rebuild small thumbnails, All thumbnails, repair Iphoto permissions"

Is there some way to delete the thumbnails and have Iphoto rebuild them?

Is there some way to start a new library but keep all my ratings, manual arrangement of photos, libraries, events, etc?

If I import the same photos (ones that have artifacts in Iphoto) from my pictures folder they display perfectly.

Any help is greatly appreciated

SLR2009

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Thanks for the help.

When should Iphoto cache the larger versions? Could it take days or longer?

The artifacts appeared after I rebuild the Iphoto library. I never noticed it before. The artifacts on the thumbnails don't go away but when I enlarge a photo there's artifacts for a second before it clears. I selected "Rebuild small thumbnails, All thumbnails, repair Iphoto permissions"

Is there some way to delete the thumbnails and have Iphoto rebuild them?

Is there some way to start a new library but keep all my ratings, manual arrangement of photos, libraries, events, etc?

If I import the same photos (ones that have artifacts in Iphoto) from my pictures folder they display perfectly.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Please help. anyone?

SLR2009

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Thanks for the reply. I did post on that site. I'm currently using Iphoto library manger to rebuild a new library. Does anyone know if the free version transfers over all of my ratings, arrangements, keywords, etc when it rebuilds a new library?

SLR2009

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
You will need to post a "before" and an "after" example for us to decipher what you are talking about. Jpeg images will have artifacts unless you turn off compression completely. iPhoto never touches your original images. They should be in your iPhoto library someplace. You can browse to your home folder, then to Pictures then to iPhoto Library. Optionclick and pick "show contents". Be careful in there! Just look or copy things out, don't move things around if you want iPhoto to work next time you try to use it!

You should be able to browse to the originals of the images. Of course this depends on whether you have iPhoto set to copy images to your iPhoto library when you import them. If this is not the case, you should have the original images lying around somewhere and can post a "before" using the original image and an "after" as it looks in iPhoto. No need to zoom them for us. Just post a couple of examples and we can zoom them ourselves.

I just noticed. Whoa! A 70 gig iPhoto library! Obviously you have it set to copy images to iPhoto Library when you import them. My iPhoto Library is over 50 gig and iPhoto stopped working correctly for me. I'm planning on spending some time with Apple on the phone trying to work out how to make it work with 100+ gig of photos and if they can't help me with the problem, I'll have to move on to Picasa or another solution.

Thanks for the help. I took a screenshot of a before and after. I took a screenshot of the thumbnails with artifacts in Iphoto. I then took the same images and re-imported them into Iphoto so that they have no artifacts.

Here's with the artifacts:
picture1gh.png

Here's without the artifacts:

picture2mf.png

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Thanks for the help. I took a screenshot of a before and after. I took a screenshot of the thumbnails with artifacts in Iphoto. I then took the same images and re-imported them into Iphoto so that they have no artifacts.

Here's with the artifacts:
picture1gh.png

Here's without the artifacts:

picture2mf.png

Wow, that's terrible. I would try exporting the one with artifacts from iPhoto to a test file to see if the artifacts are permanent or simply showing up when you preview the image in iPhoto. Whatever you do, don't let your only copy of your photos be the copy in iPhoto. I know I don't, but it's not because of any iPhoto problems, it is because I like having control over the original files.

SLR2009

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Yep I have all my photos stored in folders as well. I exported some photos from Iphoto to my desktop and I notice no artifacts whatsoever when enlarged or as a thumbnail. What's strange is that in Iphoto if I export photos (which have the artifacts) to my desktop and then import them back into Iphoto they don't display with any artifacts. The artifacts appeared after I rebuilt my Iphoto library, maybe rebuilding the thumbnails is what's caused the artifacts.

I appreciate your help

SLR2009

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Anyone have any suggestion about what I should do? re-importing all my photos and 10,000 ratings would take ages. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.