After reformat everything went downhill.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by evosgames, Jun 13, 2012.

1. evosgames macrumors newbie

Late 2011 Macbook pro

my HD only shows 370 gigs avail of the 500g hdd also failing to download and install OS back. It gets to just over 25% of the download then time doubles and shortly after that It says cannot download. I have tried on 2 different internet connections.

So I ran into an issue w/ parallels and some other software and had a nightmare sorting it all out. So I did a boot into disk utility and whipped everything clear, reformat everything to factory, removed bootcamp ect. Left w/ the recovery partiton and the macHD that is all. Now unless I did something wrong I seem to be missing a big chunk of space into a vast void. 100gigs seem to be gone. I have looked at the partitions to make sure nothing was missed, I even reformat everything again.

Anyways I figured well let me get the os back on here and go from there. So I start to install OS back on. When I first start the download everything seems okay, says it will take 25 mins (50 meg connection at home). When I get to 25% (just guessing), the time goes up to 1 hour, then to 3... I figured okay no big deal. Now around 35% It stops and says it cannot download.
    I have to now start over. I did, and bam samething... Well thinking maybe its my connection, I take a buddies place and try on his internet.. Same thing......
    Now im several hours into this and still not able to get my OS back on.

So I guess 2 major questions, well 3.
    1. I dont remember if this Macbook came w/ a restore disk ( I norm keep everything in the box, no disk)
    2. The Hdd reading only 370 gigs, is this normal? Seems like I lost 100 gigs somewhere. I do know when I was using bootcamp It said I had 80 something gigs partioned for that, then I removed/ reformat that partion, didnt see my "Macintosh HD" go up any.
    3. If not able to download this and keeps failing (trying again this morning) what options do I have?
    MacBook Pro, OS is lion and I kept up2 date

2. evosgames thread starter macrumors newbie

I made an apt w/ genius bar. I have an strange feeling they are going to try and sell me the 70 upgrade disk.

I have never worked w/ them. I cant seem find any other solutions. :/

3. bhtooefr macrumors regular

You said that when you reformatted, you left the Mac HD partition?

If that partition didn't get enlarged or replaced by a bigger one (I'm not sure of the exact way, it's been a while since I've actually USED a Mac), that'll explain why you're not seeing the missing space.

4. evosgames thread starter macrumors newbie

I reformat everything, including the MacHD (however you cant delete the partition that is MacHD) So what im left with is Macintosh HD and Recovery HD.. Overall Diskspace off hhd 500.11 gig. MAcintosh HD "Partition" is 370 gigs, Recovery HD "partition" is 650 megs.
    I might be overlooking something but to me looks like over 100gigs have just went MIA.