After reinstalling mac osx itunes running slow but other programs are ok.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by michelled, Dec 26, 2008.

1. michelled macrumors newbie

Hi,

First of all please forgive my terminology as I am not really knowledgeable in the area of mac software and products. However I own a mac book pro. I had taken my computer to get checked out at the genius bar because my isight camera was not working on either ichat or on facebook (recording videos online directly). I had deleted ichat and since I didn't have the mac osx disk with me I took it to see if they would reinstall it for me. They did, however there was a problem with my computer. They said that either a file or a program was interfering with ichat and preventing it from gaining access to my camera. So they reinstalled mac osx on my computer and after that my ichat was working perfectly. However when I took it home I found that my computer was running much slower than usual. I thought it was from having a lot of the memory taken up by the previous systems folder. After making sure I had all of my former files intact I deleted it and I gained about 20 gigs of memory back. However when I tried to open up my itunes library it said it was not able to open because it was not a new enough version. So I ended up updating itunes and it was able to open up afterwards, however whenever I would open it up afterwards it would cause the whole computer to start running slowly (the mouse would begin to jerk to each hot spot spontaneously and whenever I would barely move it, it would fly in a different direction). I ran a virus scan on my itunes library and I performed a disk verification and both came up negative for any errors, viruses, or corrupt files. I'm not sure if the two are connected but is there anything I can do to make itunes run faster and not slow all the other programs down when i run it?

Sorry for writing so much.

Thanks for your help in advance.

michelled

2. darrenscerri macrumors regular

darrenscerri

Did you try repairing permissions? (Go to Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility, choose your Macintosh HD and click Repair Permissions)

3. michelled thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried it right now and it's saying that is has repaired them, but then when I opened up itunes all of my programs started slowing down again. It's only when itunes is open does everything run slow. What if I tried to reinstall itunes? Would this delete my itunes library?

4. ismalls macrumors newbie

same thing happened to me!!

I reinstalled the mac osx disk on my brand macbook (aluminum) and itunes is doing exactly as you described. I think that the mac os x disk does not come with all the drivers.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

1. Go to: "user/library" find and delete com.apple.itunes.plist
    2. restart computer (OS X will recreate the .plist)
    3. Run iTunes again and see if the problem still exists.

4. If you're still experiencing slow performance, go to "user/library", find and delete the "Cache" folder. Restart the computer.

If that still doesn't correct the problem, create a new user account and see if the problem follows you. If there is no problem in the new user account, there's something in your Library folder that causing the problem. Either start pulling files or the folder itself or back your data onto a separate disk and perform an "Erase and Install"