Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ray_uk

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Well I reinstalled due to a issue with a new monitor that would not display at native res, the reinstall fixed that, but now when I connect the iPhone 3G to the Mac Pro all of the tracks on the phone are grayed out and when I select the option to manually manage the content it tells me that I will need to wipe the phones contents to proceed, is there any way around this as I never had this issue after reinstall when I reconnected the iPod or iPod touch?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I don't believe that iTunes will copy music off of iPods/iPhones (it will copy contacts). You will need special software for that.

ray_uk

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Its not that I am trying to copy anything off of it.

The issue is that after the reinstall I can not copy music onto it, the lists of songs are grayed out from within itunes, so I can not even play anything back anymore from within itunes using the iphones music libary.

As mentioned, I have done reinstalls before and never had the issue with either of my classic iPod's or Ipod touch, their library's were always useable and things addable to them after reinstalls.

Its as if though its locked for editing now. The option to manually manage the music is selectable, but enabling it prompts me with the messege saying: In order to proceed itunes must wipe the device....

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
If you did a backup of the iPhone, then just restore from the backup, otherwise wiping it is the way to go... sorry about that, takes forever to load everything back in especially if you have movies.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
Just had one thought- after the reinstall have you run Software Update and applied all the updates? Since the 3G phone was not supported by the version of iTunes on the installer disk but only by a later update it has me wondering...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.