After repair, still having issues...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calganelle, May 21, 2015.

1. calganelle macrumors member

I have a mid-2013 rMBP 15'' that has AppleCare. Less than a month ago, it started having serious issues with its display and the colors were are messed up. I brought it into the Genius Bar and they determined I needed a new logic board. I received the MBP 5 business days later, and it took me 10 minutes to restart it, it became extremely hot within just 5 minutes, and in the last couple of weeks after its repair, it has froze and shut down on me randomly at least 3x.

What are my options? Take it in AGAIN for repair? Do they do replacements? It's becoming quite the distraction as I use this for my main work computer and have lost unsaved portions of work.

Has anyone had experience with a repair that isn't to your satisfaction?

2. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

3. calganelle thread starter macrumors member

I don't know the ins and outs of computers but would they just replace the logic board again? Seems kind of redundant.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Take it back explain that it is still very new and the repair was not acceptable and ask for replacement citing lost work time due to further repairs being unaccetable in this instance. Be firm fair and polite.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yup, just take it back in and let them know that you're still having problems.

I don't know if it's written anywhere, but my understanding is that they'll replace the computer if a repair is done 4 times and the problem remains.

6. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

It's up to Apple whether they repair or replace. To be very specific, the terms of AppleCare (today) for the US include [with my emphasis added]:

"Apple will either (a) repair the defect at no charge, using new or refurbished parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, or (b) exchange the Covered Equipment with a replacement product that is new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability, and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product. If Apple exchanges the Covered Equipment, the original product becomes Apple’s property and the replacement product is your property with coverage for the remaining period of the Plan."​

If you want the second remedy now, you are free to ask for it - but it's their choice, so don't get all "entitled" on them. :)

7. calganelle thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the help everyone...i will keep all this in mind when i go!