After Replacing Glass Home Button Does Not Work

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Kesler, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Kesler macrumors newbie

I cracked the glass on my Iphone 3g not too long ago so like everyone else I ordered the glass off of the internet. After finishing the job everything went surprisingly smooth. The glass looks great and there is no dust or fingerprints on the inside of the glass or the LCD so I was feeling pretty good. But after I got everything all back together I realized the home button wasn't working. I searched the web and couldn't find any information that really helped me on this matter. I had a little trouble with ribbon #3 but nothing major. Does anyone know if ribbon 3 is what controls the home button? But like I said everything is great all the speakers work and the touch screen works fine its just the home button. Right now I am stuck using my old pantech duo and I find myself tapping the screen like its an Iphone.... HELP.

2. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Ribbon #3 is for the digitizer, I don't see how it would really affect the home button.

3. Kesler thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats what I was saying I am not sure which ribbons affect what. I had some trouble with ribbon 3 but in the end I got it in fine and the digitzer works so that can't be the problem. Any suggestions on what else it could be?

4. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

From the Apple Website:

The Home button is not working
    Put the iPhone to sleep.
    Wait a couple of seconds.
    Press the Home button.
    iPhone should wake up.
    If iPhone does not wake up, then iPhone should be serviced.

Or try a restore. If not, then I think you'll have to take it back to the Apple store to get it fixed.

5. Kesler thread starter macrumors newbie

It must have been something I did when I had the phone apart. I, for the life of me, cannot see anything that I did or even think of something I did that would disable the home button. But what I am looking for some advice on what may have happened when I had the phone apart so that I can fix it. I am trying to avoid sending the phone in as they would charge me an out of warranty repair which is $199.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

What happened when you took the phone apart (i.e., did it come away without pulling wires)?

7. Kesler thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, everything went smooth. When I opened it up ribbon #1 popped off by itself but from all the videos I have seen that is how it usually works. Then I used the tool to pop up ribbon #2 and I used the tool to flip up the white tab on ribbon #3 and then it slid out fine. Like I said previously I had a little trouble getting ribbon #3 back into its slot but I got it back in there and the guy before said ribbon 3 controls the lcd so that can't be the problem.

8. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Were you having problems before with the home button?

9. Kesler thread starter macrumors newbie

No the home button worked perfect before I changed the glass. But now that I think about it when I dropped the phone it landed face down and hit a piece of metal and busted right to the left of the home button. Now the home button still worked fine before I changed the glass but I am wondering if maybe some broken pieces of glass got down in the exposed area right beside the home button. When I took the glass off I had to chip out small fragments of glass around the home button and if you have ever changed the glass before then you can see the exposed area beside the home button that isn't covered by the plastic. Which is going to be devasting if that is the problem because I will have to try to take the new glass I just replaced all the way out which will probably break that glass again and I am not even sure if that is the problem. So assuming that didn't happen is there anything else that I can try to fix the home button before I tear everything apart again?

10. Kesler thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone else have any suggestions, I am stumped. Everything functions fine on the phone except for the home button and it didn't start this till after I changed the glass. I am not aware of how I could have done anything. Can anyone help?

11. jjredox macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Ive changed my glass today and upon re-assambling i tested the screen to see if everything worked before i screwed everything back together.
    I noticed the home button wasn't working so i looked into it...

It basically cant work unless the screen is put back in place tight. The reason being is that there's some connection to the base of the iphone and the top (the screen) - it is possible that something came in between these connection (it's nothing to put assemble, it is just the top that come and sit on the base and you can see the connection by the home button) if something came in between, let's say a piece of tape or whatever, it is possible that it stop your home button working. Have a look..

Good luck

JJR
    get-you-free-iphone.com

12. Ennoozunu macrumors newbie

I'd say take it apart again and look where the button is. Try using a can of compressed air incase there is something in there and then reassemble and hopefully it will work again.

13. ke11355 macrumors newbie

I ran into the same problem after replacing the LCD. All you need to do is to bring the two tiny silver connectors up a bit to make contact with the base. You'll have to look very close to see ( curved silver metal is right beneath the Home bottom. ) I used a precision screwdriver to bend it upwards alittle. Wahla and it worked!!

14. avn macrumors newbie

connector 4

I just had the same problem. I opened it up, and found that connector 4 (the one that connects the button's backend to the motherboard) had come disconnected. I snapped it back in, booted up, and all was right with the world !)