After Restoring InstallESD.dmg USB format changed to Extended (not journalled)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by bellaxjacob, May 27, 2013.

1. bellaxjacob macrumors newbie

Hi I have problem, I'm trying to create a bootable USB with OS X Lion. I have followed the steps in erasing the USB using Disk Utility, with format of Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

But when I restore the image file from Install Mac OS X Lion > Contents > SharedSupport > InstallESD.dmg to my newly formatted USB, the format changed into Mac OS Extended. I guess this might be the reason why I can't have my USB on startup.

BTW, in restoring my source is the InstallESD.dmg. Is this correct or do I have to mount it and select Mac OS X Install ESD as the source? But anyway, I have also tried that way too, but still upon startup I cannot view my bootable USB.

Is there a step that I missed?

Thanks

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That's probably normal (although I'm not able to check); it would make sense for an OS image to not be journalled since theoretically it should never be written to. Journalling has nothing to do with whether you can start up from the volume; it's a way of ensuring that data written to the drive doesn't get damaged if the system crashes.

How are you trying to start up from the USB drive? Does it appear when you hold Option at the boot chime? Does it show up in the Startup Disk preference pane?

3. bellaxjacob thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, by holding the option key on startup. And yes it does appear on the startup disk prefrence pane.

But on startup, I cannot see the USB. Only the HD and Recovery HD.