After restoring iTunes library- erase iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shrakner, Nov 11, 2008.

1. shrakner macrumors member

OK, so I recently did an iTunes backup of my entire library & playlists onto DVDs as a step in backing up everything on my computer before sending it in for warranty repair. In order to reduce the size of my HD backup image, I deleted the Music folder.

I have now restored everything through iTunes from the DVDs it burned earlier. However, when I plug in my iPod Touch, it now thinks that it's a different music library. I already transferred "purchases from iPod to iTunes" but I'm hesitant to "erase and sync." Will this erase everything on the iPod, or just the media folders? I think my application data is probably safe since I used the "transfer purchases" option, but will preferences, pictures, etc. be preserved?

Ideally, I'd be able to convince iTunes to just sync as normal and assume that the library hasn't changed, but it seems that the erase and re-sync is the only option.... any advice?

Man, I'm not used to sounding like this much of a newbie... :p

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

From memory I'm pretty sure it's whatever was checked to sync in your old library. Music and Videos, obviously, but it will also delete and replace Calendars and Contacts and all that if you had it set to sync those, too (shouldn't be a problem if you've restored the programs you synced those from). With Apps, I'd like to say it will automatically copy them over to your iTunes, but I'm just not sure.

3. shrakner thread starter macrumors member

I haven't synced anything yet, but if I start to setup the sync and check the application sync, it says that
    Does that mean that everything will be set to the point at which they were at when I did the "transfer purchased items" last night?
    If not, I really don't want to lose things like save games, etc....