iPad After reviews only decision left is the case

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by jimbo1mcm, Oct 29, 2013.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

I was going to buy the Air, no matter what, but the reviews are as expected, staggeringly good. My only small "problem" is what case to use. I want to keep it as light as possible, and still protect, at least the back. Now I am not sure I will get the OEM case with the full leather. I'll feel it first in the Apple store.

2. nygiants242 macrumors member

I'm totally in the same boat as you. My plan is to get the magnetic Smart Cover and a thin sleeve to put it in. This means:

(1) when in transport the back is completely protected (and front with the SC on)
    (2) when needed, I can use the Smart Cover to prop it up, etc.
    (3) when I am just reading or watching a movie, I can take the Smart Cover off, taking full advantage of the iPad Air's light weight

3. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

4. mrjackal macrumors newbie

Does anyone have experiences with the Apple Smart Cases? I remember buying one for my iPad 2 when they first came out and I wasn't too impressed, I felt the smart case was not snug enough. Have they improved the fit for the new generation iPads? If not, I'll probably go with a smart cover and then a third-party cover for the back.

5. ejisfun macrumors regular

According to the Anandtech review, the smart cover definitely seems to be improved in that regard:

The new Smart Case feel great and seem to do a good job of protecting the iPad Air. The leather feels smooth and doesn’t seem to have the durability issues of the new iPhone 5s leather cases.

Getting the iPad out of the Smart Case does take a little more time as you have to pull it out of a relatively tight tub, so I wouldn’t recommend it as an option if you’re looking to constantly get in/out of the case. There is a more noticeable weight penalty from using the Smart Case as well. As I mentioned before, the iPad Air is light enough that the addition of any case can have a substantial impact on the feel.​

6. redman042 macrumors 68020

I'm going to get a flip case with several stand positions, but one that is very easy to remove and re install the iPad into. The Ridge by Devicewear fit this bill nicely on my iPad 3.

The logic is that I get full front and back protection and a nice stand for the iPad, but can pop the unit out and use it naked when reading and I need it to be light. That way I get to enjoy it both ways.

7. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

thats what she said

8. Poob Bubes macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

I just ordered an STM Grip 2. I used the previous version on my iPad 3 and loved how you can use the rigid cover to prop the iPad up at any angle when on a recliner or in bed.

9. Mr.C macrumors 601

I ordered the exact same one but only as a temporary measure. At that price I don't think its going to last long. I've got a similar one by Switch Easy on my iPad 3 and I'm waiting for them to release one for the iPad Air and I will get that as a long term solution. At the moment I have the Switch Easy Nude on the back of my iPad and the official Apple leather Smart Cover on the front. I'm going for the same setup on my new iPad but I may well have to settle for the official polyurethane Smart Cover unless a third party makes a good leather one.

10. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

Would it better to get a shell for the back or just get some sort of skin/protector?

11. mrjackal macrumors newbie

Thanks for posting this, very helpful. I think I'll just go to the Apple Store and try them on for size, surely they won't mind.