After sampling the new MacBook Pro Retina display, here's my take...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vege-Taco, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Vege-Taco macrumors member

Vege-Taco

It screen is really nice. Good crisp text. Images in Pages documents and on websites look pretty bad though. Whatever Apple is doing to scale images isn't working very well. I was comparing two 15" MacBook Pro machines in Best Buy. One with Retina and one without. The non-retina display was pretty bad for text, but images were great. Given the choice between the two, I would definitely go with the Retina.

However, comparing the new Retina display to my current 17" MacBook Pro's 1920x1200 screen, I feel that my current system has the advantage. The text is close to being as sharp as on the Retina, and the images look great. So I give the nod to the older 17" MacBook Pro with the high-resolution screen option.

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I loved the display on my 17", but I prefer my 15" retina. The 1920X1200 resolution display was standard, by the way. No high-res option. That machine will be missed.

3. Vege-Taco thread starter macrumors member

Vege-Taco

Well, the default resolution on the 17" was 1680×1050. You had to pay extra to up that to 1920×1200, unless you bought a late 2008+ model, in which case 1920×1200 was standard. ;)