After seeing iOS 7 on the iPad...

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by chrf097, Jun 25, 2013.

1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I have to say, it looks very out of place. I absolutely love iOS 7 on my iPhone, but the screenshots of the iPad version just looks unsettling, Almost like a literal scale of iOS for iPhone rather than a custom built OS like the previous versions.

But maybe it's an experience thing. I don't own an iPad so maybe I just have to use iOS 7 on one to capture it. Can any iPad owners testify.

2. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

It's possible this is just preliminary iPad support, just so that developers can run their apps. There may be more design changes in store for the iPad version than the iPhone version.

3. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I like it, and I can't wait until fall to install it on my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini.

4. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

What do you mean by "literal scale", I mean, wasn't the iPad always just a larger iPod touch?

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You have to see it in person. I felt the same way, until I actually got to use it on my iPad Mini. The new Notification Center is wow. I'm really enjoying using it, and the tabs rock.

6. Nanasaki macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

The new notification centre is cool and beautiful, the new Siri on iPad is great. However, many of the build in apps are just blown up version. Look at the calendar app, huge waste if space on day view. Look at the Game Centre, again blown up version. Again, I understand it is just beta 2, changes and optimization will happen later, until then, iOS 7 on iPad is hugely unoptimized for the screen space

7. AgentElliot007 macrumors 6502

iOS 7 on the iPhone 5 is great. On my 4th Gen. iPad, it leaves a great deal to be desired in the design department. I was rather turned off by it last night but I've been trying to give it a chance. All I can really come around saying though at the end of day 2 is that I like the lock screen and Control Center. I think Notification Center looks nice on the iPad, but it's poorly laid out. The 3X3 Folder setup is colossally irritating on the iPad when there's plenty of space for more apps and now nearly every folder takes more work to navigate. The stock apps almost across the board don't feel right to me.

I really didn't expect it considering I've liked iOS 7 so much on the iPhone, but the design sensibility just isn't resonating with me on the iPad much at all. There's plenty I don't like about the look of iOS 6, but when balancing form and function, I think it trumps iOS 7 on the iPad by a large margin. I'm going to keep on with it for at least a few days to see if it doesn't grow on me, but I'm really not holding my breath. The more I use it, the more I feel like so many elements of it just don't make sense.

But I can't say enough about how much I love it on the iPhone. It's certainly not perfect yet and the icons are ugly, but it'd be hard for me to consider going back to iOS 6 even if half my apps weren't working. Thankfully, they are, and beta 2 is a good deal less buggy. But all in all, I think iOS 7 will arrive half-baked in many regards as I just don't think they'll be able to iron out all the bugs and the layouts between now and this fall, particularly on the iPad. But I think it's a big step in the right direction overall to shake things up and take chances. They're making mistakes, but they'll learn from them, and hopefully we'll get a far more refined iOS 8 if not more dramatic refinements over 7.1, 7.2 and so on releases.

8. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

No.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

10. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

Not at all, there were animations, app designs, and UI elements that were iPad specific, that from what I've seen, seem to not have an iOS 7 counterpart.

Again, it's probably something that you have to see in person, but as far as iPad specific UI elements, it seems like nearly everything is gone.

11. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

I think it looks much better on my iPad then what iOS 6 looked like on my iPad.

12. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

I didn't mean just a larger iPad touch by aesthetics, but rather by functionality. I used to own an iPad 3, but have personally always felt to be limited to the same functionality that I could just as well get on my iPhone. Of course, on the iPad there's more screen estate, but basically what I could do remained the same. But I'm not trying to start a flame war here between iPad lovers and haters.

13. adriekoch7 macrumors newbie

I'm really enjoying using it, and the tabs rock.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Overall I would go as far as saying that iOS 7 is better on the ipad than iPhone! Loving it :)

15. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

I agree, i find iOS 7s UI much better fitting on an ipad sized display than the iphone.

16. SprSynJn Guest

You must be using a different iPad than what I'm using. Not complaining, but the iPad really is just a bigger iPod Touch. Never had a problem with that myself, as I love the simplicity. The apps make it more of course, but iOS is still the same across the board.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But we were specifically talking about how iOS 7 iPad apps are a "literal" blow-up of their iPhone counterparts, while iOS 6 iPad apps were not. I agree that in terms of system functionality, the iPad is a bigger iPod touch. But that wasn't the issue I was addressing. As SprSynJn says, it's the apps that make the iPad more, and I'd be disappointed if in iOS 7, the iPad apps turn into just blown-up iPhone apps.