after shutting down computer during software update, computer won't start up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by seaofclocks, Mar 2, 2008.

1. seaofclocks macrumors newbie

first i'd like to say that i did search the forums for this topic but couldn't find anything that similar (maybe i'm just bad at looking)

anyway i have leopard installed on my powerbook g4. it seems as though the software update is a bit different than on tiger as it installs the software while it's restarting or something like that.

i was installing a mac os x update and it was taking forever, so i made the stupid decision of canceling the update by turning off the computer (holding down the power button)

now whenever i try to turn on the computer, it will stay at the startup screen (with the little rotating circle under the apple). i left the computer for an hour and when i came back it was still at the same startup screen

thank you for any help you can provide me with

2. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Can you start up in Safe Mode? (restart and then hold the Shift key)

3. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Doing a hard shut down is never a good idea, especially when you're installing an OS. You may need a boot disk or as the above poster stated start up in safe mode.

4. seaofclocks thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for getting back to me so quickly, i tried doing the safe boot... it didn't work.

is there someway i could boot from another disc and than finish the software update?

5. georgi0 macrumors regular

georgi0

Hi there..

did you find a solution in your problem?
    I have a friend of mine with EXACTLY the same problem like you described.

Help needed.....

Thank you.

6. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Have you tried to restart in verbose mode to see where its freezing (Press Command-v when starting up).

Also try and boot from the OS X installation DVD and repair the hard drive and repair permissions.

7. georgi0 macrumors regular

georgi0

Good Suggestions. I will communicate them to my friend (he is in Africa !) and get back with feedback.

Thank you