Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joemero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
OK, as stated, my MBP has been asleep for quite some time, im ready to go to school or wherever, and as soon as I pick it up to put it in my backpack the "apple" on the lid illuminates and the blinking "sleep" light becomes solid...wtf? am i holding it wrong? I dont want to risk damaging my hdd.

Å

åidån

You don't have a flash drive, or anything for that matter, connected? Sleeping with anything plugged in causes them to wake spontaneously.

Joemero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
nothing connected...MBP sleeping comfy, all apps closed for a while, I pick it up to put in my bedroom, or backpack, and suddenly the apple logo lights up and the blinking sleep light stays on. I'm worried about damaging the HDD.

Å

åidån

So long as the sleeping light is blinking it should be fine, though I guess it indicates the screen maybe running. You'd hear the HDD spin up though, so if it does that, then don't move it. Have you searched Apple discussion boards for users with similar issues?

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
It happens to me quite often, I've never had any damage from that so I don't think you should be worried...whenever it happens, I just leave my MBP as it is and it goes back to sleep :)

Joemero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
So long as the sleeping light is blinking it should be fine, though I guess it indicates the screen maybe running. You'd hear the HDD spin up though, so if it does that, then don't move it. Have you searched Apple discussion boards for users with similar issues?

no, this is my first effort. I suspect that the magnet might no be strong enough. I did buy a refurb direct from apple. I guess im wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their MBP. For me its a given, a simple transport of 10 yards (carefully) will turn on the apple logo.

kryptonianjorel

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2009
Thats not good then. The logo turns on when the screen turns on. That leads me to believe that it isn't sleeping correctly. If the logo lights up ONLY when you move the laptop, then either the SMS is triggering something (meaning the laptop isn't really sleeping) or your magnets are defective in your lid/body. I'd think it is the latter; when you move the laptop, the magnets move, telling the computer to wake, and go back to sleep. I'm not positive so take it to a tech!

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
If you place it on a flat surface (ie. desk), asleep, with nothing touching it... pick it up and move it around a little bit...it will actually wake?

My guess is it is the sleep sensor, or you have something magnetic interfering w/ the hall sensor.

PS: Bluetooth accessories?

Joemero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Thats not good then. The logo turns on when the screen turns on. That leads me to believe that it isn't sleeping correctly. If the logo lights up ONLY when you move the laptop, then either the SMS is triggering something (meaning the laptop isn't really sleeping) or your magnets are defective in your lid/body. I'd think it is the latter; when you move the laptop, the magnets move, telling the computer to wake, and go back to sleep. I'm not positive so take it to a tech!

i suspect the same....and i have become accustomed to close the lid and throw it in my backpack and GO! yesterday it had an error message related to not finding an IP address. Which just tells me that it "woke up" when it wasn't supposed to.

Joemero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
If you place it on a flat surface (ie. desk), asleep, with nothing touching it... pick it up and move it around a little bit...it will actually wake?

My guess is it is the sleep sensor, or you have something magnetic interfering w/ the hall sensor.

YES. But this happens at my house, school anywhere

rodo

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
There are Widgets on the Dashboard that cause(d?) these kind of issues... I remember hearing buzz about iStatPro not that long ago. U have it installed by chance?

My MBP wakes sometimes too.. not very frequently, though...

Joemero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
There are Widgets on the Dashboard that cause(d?) these kind of issues... I remember hearing buzz about iStatPro not that long ago. U have it installed by chance?

My MBP wakes sometimes too.. not very frequently, though...

Yup, i do have iStatPro....cud that be the culprit? its a nice app though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.