after sleeping, sounds via internal speakers disappeared

Discussion in 'macOS' started by m4rk0, Dec 28, 2008.

1. m4rk0 macrumors member

hello,

i am a long time macrumors reader but registered just today.
    anyway, let's get to the point.

i have a white macbook core2duo 2,0ghz.
    some days ago i was watching a movie using the line out, with a pair of headset. then i put the computer to sleep, i UNPLUGGED the mini jack connector and i opened the lid of the macbook. now the internal speakers don't work anymore; don't ask me why i did it, that's how the thing went..

so far, this is what i have been trying:
    - i put again the computer to sleep, then plugged the headset in, then opened the lid, then removed the headset => no luck
    - i repaired disk permissions => no luck
    - i restarted the computer => no luck
    - i resetted the PRAM (command-control-p-r) => no luck
    - switched user => no luck
    ** side note: i can't run the apple hardware test because i don't have the cd/dvd with me (i am out of home for some days), but i am pretty sure it wouldn't help (continue reading).

i have all of the updates installed, os x 10.5.6.
    i am downloading the combo update hoping it does something but i am without any hope.

when nothing is plugged in the line-out connector, the volume CAN'T be adjusted because os x "thinks" it's controlling the digital line out, which obviously doesn't have any volume control (have a look at the attached shot); the problem is that os x should control the internal speakers, and that's because nothing is connected to the line out !!!!!!!
    it's like if os x went crazy because i unplugged the plug while the computer was sleeping: probably i had to ask for its permission? lol.
    and i am pretty sure it's a os x related problem because, after resetting the PRAM, i clearly heard the "booong" (startup chime).

it's driving me nuts.

thanks everyone for reading.

Attached Files:

2. m4rk0 thread starter macrumors member

issue resolved

(in case someone else's in trouble with the same problem)

as i had been told, there is a micro switch which was 'stuck' inside the female connector.. gently playing with a toothpick fixed it.