Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Aside from slower battery life, I've noticed no real performance degradation on my 2015 iPad Pro 12.9." I have plenty of storage space. I just upgraded to the new iPhone XS MAX, which I believe will take up some of my iPad tasks (such as movies) while traveling. Finally, I may be buying a new Macbook this year if Apple delivers on a nice, 13" Macbook in a new form factor. Given all of this, upgrading the iPad seems low priority. Thoughts?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I’m the complete opposite. My X from last year will suite me fine but I really want to replace my 9.7 iPad Pro with a 12.7 iPad Pro. Still on the fence whether I really want to wait or just get the current model out now.

i'm in a similar boat. i have a 7 plus. I got the plus over the small for the cameras but the 10 series has the same cameras so I'm stepping down to the smaller model. and I do more on my iPad than my camera so i'm getting the 64GB. since I always do my edits etc on the iPad or my iMac I have no problem with cleaning out space and I barely used more than 50GB of my 128 phone. so i'll drop the extra money on a new iPad when that time comes

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I'm in a similar situation. Sold my iPad 2018 because I've been using my phone more than my iPad. Now that the XS Max is coming, to help with the cost, I sold it. Having taken my iPad on business trips, I prefer to just bring my iPhone. Between my MBP and my iPhone 8+ (soon to be Xs Max), I'm good.

Tdosthp

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
I’m the complete opposite. My X from last year will suite me fine but I really want to replace my 9.7 iPad Pro with a 12.7 iPad Pro. Still on the fence whether I really want to wait or just get the current model out now.

Same boat as you, but want to see the integration of Face ID on the new iPads. Portrait only will be a deal breaker.

Though I do agree with OP, the Mac could be very suitable for in-flight movies.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Same boat as you, but want to see the integration of Face ID on the new iPads.

that's the one feature I don't really care about. Face ID at all, Face ID only in portrait, blah blah, bottom of the list. better screen, better sound, better graphics chip, more storage, a smart keyboard that doesn't stop working after 3 months, pencil with a softer or even different shaped tips, an iOS that has more features like being able to manually mark faces in photos (like you can do on the Mac) all matter more to me than if there's even touch ID. i was putting in a passcode for years and have no issue going back to just that if needed

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
This is probably what Apple wants you to do.

It used to be that your $1300 got you a $750 top-of-the-line iPhone (as is the XSMAX) and a $500 iPad. With high profit margins.

Now for the same $1300 you only get one phone with what I must assume is a stratospheric profit margin.

Good for Apple, because they got there by being competitive, but this is monopolistic behavior - which baffles me, because Apple is not a monopolist and people should be switching brands, but they're not - as a poster said in another thread, this may be the Veblen effect. This, or we should drink Apple's Kool Aid and admit the iPhone really is something else.

largefarrva

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2012
For me, it's all about the iOS and Mac environment. How everything just works, together. I love that I can take a pic with my phone and moments later I can view it on my other devices. Same with bookmarks in Safari. Messages...etc. That's what has me hooked on Apple's products. I fully concede that there are better hardware-wise devices out there, and I don't care. None of them run on iOS and MacOS. So those devices aren't attractive to me, at all.

wib

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
I would never lease/finance a phone. I'm happy with my SE lol.

I like new things, and wish I could go onto the upgrade program, but don't like the idea of leasing either. If they made a program where you bought it outright and then had the option to upgrade it each year for a reasonable fee, I'd be all over it.

Reactions: iHammah

Amazing Ox Space Monkey

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015

It used to be that your $1300 got you a $750 top-of-the-line iPhone (as is the XSMAX) and a $500 iPad. With high profit margins.

Now for the same $1300 you only get one phone with what I must assume is a stratospheric profit margin.

Good for Apple, because they got there by being competitive, but this is monopolistic behavior - which baffles me, because Apple is not a monopolist and people should be switching brands, but they're not - as a poster said in another thread, this may be the Veblen effect. This, or we should drink Apple's Kool Aid and admit the iPhone really is something else.
This is an example of non-elastic demand - people are buying the iPhones in close to same numbers regardless of the rising price. The most expensive iPhone from 2 years ago is now the “budget” phone. Will in 2 year’s time the today’s XS max be the budget phone? Maybe. Apple can and will continue this game unless a viable alternative appears.

And I’m highly interested to know what the people who buy the Max use it for. A friend of mine bought the X because it had “a better camera” and she wanted to take part in a competition. At the same time $1000 buys you a descent dlsr with a few lenses. Ok, I admit the argument it’s easier to carry a phone than a DSLR wherever you go. But still, is that worth $1000?

Judging from my own experience, the SE is good enough of a phone, I can make and receive calls (the primary function of a phone), send SMS, browse the internet when need be and serve as an internet hotspot for my iPad. It also offers me a somewhat good phone book for my contacts. The photos it takes are good when there’s enough light. The 350€ seemed to be a “fair price” for an apple product that does all of that. But for the life of me €850 for a “budget” phone will never be justified. I admit the larger screen is better for browsing. But that‘s why I have an iPad. A 6.5” phone is already too big to be carried in my pocket.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
My Xs Nax and SSSB watch arrive on Friday and I sold my 10.5” pro last Wednesday in anticipation of the new iPads. Really miss it so hoping they will announce the new models in October

LowellLvl

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2018
Heck, after spending for the Max, I'm considering skipping eating for the next 6 months!

Yep - it's tuna sandwiches and peanut butter for the next 24 months.
[doublepost=1537251391][/doublepost]

It's than darn ecosystem, I tell ya. Oh, and iMessage.

Reactions: simonmet

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just upgraded to the new iPhone XS MAX, which I believe will take up some of my iPad tasks (such as movies) while traveling
No matter how you slice it, watching a movie on an iPad is still much better then on a phone. I understand the need to balance your budget and after spending so much money on a phone, its harder to spend more $$ on an iPad. At least, that's what I would be thinking

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
No matter how you slice it, watching a movie on an iPad is still much better then on a phone. I understand the need to balance your budget and after spending so much money on a phone, its harder to spend more $$ on an iPad. At least, that's what I would be thinking

Part of it is that
1) My iPad works fine. I just installed iOS12 on it, and I can see it doing well for two or three more iOS cycles
2) I am using my iPad less in recent months (I've used it less since I got the 8+ as I have watched quick videos on that a bit more)

If Apple releases a super nice iPad update with improved PPI, better multitasking, etc, then I may reconsider (I can always get one early to mid next year)

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Aside from slower battery life, I've noticed no real performance degradation on my 2015 iPad Pro 12.9." I have plenty of storage space. I just upgraded to the new iPhone XS MAX, which I believe will take up some of my iPad tasks (such as movies) while traveling. Finally, I may be buying a new Macbook this year if Apple delivers on a nice, 13" Macbook in a new form factor. Given all of this, upgrading the iPad seems low priority. Thoughts?
I have Hope's the iPad Pro will be a 7nn CPU 8 Core A12X
And have USB-C either one of these features makes it a Must get.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

Thought: Buy what makes you happy. Life is short.

wib

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
I’m the opposite. My 7+ is doing just fine and I haven’t been tempted to upgrade my phone. I’m excited to upgrade my 12.9” IPP gen 1 though.
Me too! (Oh, change to 12.9 from 10.5 - but the feeling is the same).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.