Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
ok then why you want to JB your iPad if you dont want the CYDIA? i dont get the point...
not unlike iphone, we want to JB because to activate it or unlock it. the iPad is already unlocked and activated....

No you can install JB apps without Cydia, the hard way. I don't really feel the need to JB so now i'm off JB.

Bitgod

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
I haven't been reading these threads until today, but I'd say since I JBed, yes I have backgrounder, I'd say I'd been thinking that my battery doesn't last quite as long as it used to. BUT, I'm also not put out by it if I have to recharge. I could see thought if you wanted this for things like watching videos on a long flight, that it might be a big drag.

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Jailbreaking, in and of itself, does not affect battery life whatsoever. Installing apps that change the functionality of the device, as designed by Apple, does.

If you just jailbreak and don't do anything else with it, your battery usage will not be changed in any significant way from how it was prior.

Anyone who says otherwise is misinformed.

That said, this post is pretty much the same as my experience and usage:

I jailbroke right after Spirit came out Sunday night. The next thing I did was install Backgrounder. I use my iPad on and off all day at work and then at home, and normally run 3 apps backgrounded at all times, and then background Safari only when I am using it and want to switch between other apps while still maintaining the active link(s) in Safari.

So far (past 3 days) I have noticed a small increase in battery drain (or decrease in battery time depending on how you want to look at it), but that would be expected since I am running more operations during the same period of time. I start the day at 5:05 AM with a full charge and right now it is 7:51 PM and my iPad battery is at 54%, not to shabby in my opinion. At work I use it for note taking with EverNote (and I had plenty of meetings today), task management using OmniFocus, pdf viewing with GoodReader, weather radar checks with WeatherDeck, note taking with CJournal, data entry with Numbers, and a lot of Internet surfing. At home tonight I spent about an hour setting up some projects in OF, and maybe 30 minutes web browsing. I figure I will probably use it for another hour or so before the night is out since I have a little more work to get done.

All in all, I say the benefits from jailbreaking greatly out weigh the very small loss in battery time. Especially since I have my iPad by my side (and use it often) for an average of 18 hours a day and it still has over 40% charge and then put it on the charger for the 6 hrs. while I'm asleep.

I can do all the same stuff I would do on my laptop, but on a device a fraction of the size and weight without needing to be tethered to a power outlet all day. The iPad simply would not be worth it to me if I hadn't jailbroken it and installed backgrounder and the virtual memory hack. But with those things, it's utterly fantastic.

Gleemen

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
I can do all the same stuff I would do on my laptop, but on a device a fraction of the size and weight without needing to be tethered to a power outlet all day. The iPad simply would not be worth it to me if I hadn't jailbroken it and installed backgrounder and the virtual memory hack. But with those things, it's utterly fantastic.

What source are you using to get virtual memory? Can't seem to find it.

Czicks

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
I've also noticed accelerated battery usage after the JB. I had installed backgrounder and SBsettings.

Now, I only use backgrounder occasionally so I am thinking that SBsettings is the culprit. I've uninstalled it for now and will probably do a restore once Apple gives us background capabilities.

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009
I don't know how long it would last if I had not jailbroken it. Mine was jailbroken as soon as I received it.

My brightness is half way, on a wifi model. Most of the time using WIFI but sometimes using my iPhone's Mywi hotspot. The main applications that I use includes web browsing, RSS feeds, online radio, Pages, Document on the Go. I get at least 10 hours of usage. I've also used a stop watch to time the rate of battery going down, and it works out to be 1% every six minutes, or 10% per hour.

Do those of you who have not jailbroken get better than what I'm getting?

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
do not download the stuff that you really not using. i jailbreak mine because?
sbsettings
installous
3G unrestrictor

i dont need backgrounder because i already mod my safari (no resfresh) much much better!

turn-off your ssh!! this really kills your battery

A thief.

apesta

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
For me, I jailbroken it right away when I got the iPad. But i still consider the battery life to be extremely durable. I've only charged my iPad times since the last week of launch. I'm sitting on 54% right now and its been close to 7 hrs of use. I have backgrounder on as well.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
For me, I jailbroken it right away when I got the iPad. But i still consider the battery life to be extremely durable. I've only charged my iPad times since the last week of launch. I'm sitting on 54% right now and its been close to 7 hrs of use. I have backgrounder on as well.

What screen brightness you use?

alcaholic

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
yeah ive noticed it a littlebit but it lasts so freaking long anyway i think its better to have it for sure

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
ok then why you want to JB your iPad if you dont want the CYDIA? i dont get the point...
not unlike iphone, we want to JB because to activate it or unlock it. the iPad is already unlocked and activated....

Multitasking.

jroeben

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2010
I ran a little test as I was starting to get worried about all the comments in here.
iPad 32GB WiFi, Spirit JB, Backgrounder, Circuitous.

I merged a bunch of TV shows into one big file runnning about 12 hours in total.
WiFi on and connected, pushmail active, max volume with headphones plugged in, around 6/8 brightness.

Started the video playback last night before I went to bed. When I got up this morning, it was still running of course. I stopped the test after 11 hours (!) of non-stop playback with 5% battery remaining.
Not too shabby, I doubt it would be much (if any) better without the JB.

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009
I jailbroke the moment I got my ipad and have always got at least 10 hours of use out of it at 50% brightness. Mine is a wifi model. I don't believe jailbreak has any impact on battery life.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
Bumping this...for the first few weeks, I didn't notice any drain in battery life.

Recently however, it's been noticeable. My battery drains about 12% with each hour of heavy use. Prior to jailbreak, it wouldn't drain more than 8-10%. This is a big deal, because I get about two less hours of battery life than I should.

I don't have Backgrounder running, and I even removed SBSettings to see if it would change, and it didn't...I have zero mods or apps running constantly, I'm thinking of removing the jailbreak.

Anyone else see drain like this?

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Bumping this...for the first few weeks, I didn't notice any drain in battery life.

Recently however, it's been noticeable. My battery drains about 12% with each hour of heavy use. Prior to jailbreak, it wouldn't drain more than 8-10%. This is a big deal, because I get about two less hours of battery life than I should.

I don't have Backgrounder running, and I even removed SBSettings to see if it would change, and it didn't...I have zero mods or apps running constantly, I'm thinking of removing the jailbreak.

I've had mine for about two months. It was jailbroken on day one. I've noticed absolutely no difference in battery life.

bluedog3401

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008

I have had a jailbreak since it was available and had the iPad since its release (a while before the jailbreak became available). I notice no battery drain on mine to the diminishing amount you describe. It still could be a jailbroken install that is causing the drain, perhaps the install didn't fully uninstall?

I clean refresh and rejailbreak could be in order. Please note, if you've updated to iTunes 9.2 read about any concerns.

bluedog3401

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
I haven't experienced any battery drain.

And I jb'ed on 9.2 with no problems.

Its good to hear jailbreak works fine with iTunes 9.2. I wonder if it was just an early warning until they fully tested it that is still lingering.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
jailbreaking and installing backgrounder will drain your battery. theres no doubt about that.

i would assume that jailbreaking itself kills battery life. i wouldn't trust those that say their battery lifes are not affected at all. how would they know? those same people probably have not used a non-jb'ed ipad since the day they got it.

for those that have jb'ed. reformat and don't jb. you will notice a BIG difference in battery life.

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Uh...how would you know?

I have a friend who has a non jailbroken iPad and we've "benchmarked" the battery three times since buying them, just running them into the ground. Running multiple apps at once affects battery life slightly, but really the LCD brightness seems to be the biggest way to kill battery. (Also, the way I read his question was that battery life seemed to get worse over time after he jailbroke; I haven't noticed that, I've got the same level of battery today that I did two months ago.)

That said, in casual use, I've gotten about thirty hours off of one charge-- that's with 3G and push on, wifi enabled, connected to both an IRC and IM client (running in background) along with mail; general web-browsing, emails and typing (I've got a book coming out in August. ;) ). All on one charge, it lasted over a full day before I had to plug it back in.

If I'm supposed to get more than this, I can't fathom it. At any rate I would be willing to put up with 30 hours vs 40 if the 30 hours allows me to run multiple applications at once and abandon needing to take my laptop with me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.