After successful SL and RAM install, MacBook will not start

Discussion in 'macOS' started by laureng123, Oct 28, 2009.

1. laureng123 macrumors newbie

Hi everybody.
    I just bought and installed Snow Leopard on my 3 year old MacBook yesterday and today my computer doesn't even want boot. The install went fine and I tested various programs afterward and everything seemed to be running smoothly.

After playing around with it I shut it down and installed two 1 gig sticks of Crucial brand RAM as I had just 1 gig before and I heard SL needed at least 1 gig. Turned it back on, and checked "About This Mac" which said it only had 1 gig. So I shut it back down and reinstalled the RAM, making sure to really get the RAM in there securely. After my second attempt my MacBook reported having 2 gigs of RAM and for a while ran well.

Then later last night it started completely freezing while using firefox and I would have to crash it and restart it. I would use firefox again for a couple of minutes then it would completely freeze and I would be forced to once again crash it. It did this 3 or 4 times and when I restarted it again, the power light came on, but there was nothing but a black screen and the slight hum of the fan.. no HD spinning noise or disk drive noise as usual, and it did not even open to the welcome screen, just a plain black screen.

I tried starting in safe mode but nothing happens and it doesn't even seem to try to be booting up as there are none of the usual noises. I tried starting up with the SL install disk, and it made some promising sounds, but nothing different has happened.

Any ideas? Should I try using my old RAM or is it definitely the new OS?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

First things first though is to make sure the RAM has not loosened itself again????

If still no go then definitely try using the old ram to see if the problem goes away!

If it does then the RAM is DOA, Crucial have a good return and exchange programme so that shouldn't be a problem.