After System Crash - Can't Boot to External FW Drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DonP, Apr 5, 2017.

1. DonP macrumors newbie

On an early 2009 24" iMac, part of my backup strategy is weekly SuperDuper backups to an external Firewire drive. The FW drive has always been a bootup option if I hold the "option" key when booting and I could run from the FW drive no problem.

Well yesterday I had a system crash and was unable to boot to the iMac internal HD, and the FW drive was not visible when booting. I suspected a hardware failure but surprising was able to restore from a Time Machine backup (14 hours). After restore from TM I was again able to boot to the internal HD and the FW drive was visible again.

So obviously my FW backup strategy failed, but why would a system crash make the external FW drive unavailable? Is that expected behavior if I lose the internal HD in the future? Should I not plan to boot to the FW drive if the internal HD fails?

2. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 65816

nambuccaheadsau

Time will tell I guess.

Maybe the internal drive is failing or something more serious like a logic board. Whilst it runs fingers crossed. Like me, itn is showing its age maybe.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

After your weekly cloned backup, might be worth taking a few minutes to actually BOOT from the backup, just to test it out.

4. DonP thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to get the external FW drive to boot by having the drive spinning during the "option" key boot up sequence. So I'm up and running for now, with a 1T HD coming in from macsales. That will keep me going until new iMacs are available later this year. Thanks for the advice guys.