After System Update last night, the system will not boot with IOPlatformExpert.cpp:15

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wonderingwhywhy, Jun 12, 2012.

1. wonderingwhywhy macrumors newbie

I have had Lion for a 2, 3 months on the iMac 27 inch purchased last October (2011). Last night I chose to update the system, and deselected iMoves update because it was 1GB, and chose only 4 updates, including iTunes, Safari (i think)... But the update says error, and ask to restart the system (it won't restart itself, so I waited 30 minutes, and then pressed the Power button for 10 seconds, to let it power down, and press Power again to power it up).

However, after that, the system failed to boot up, showing a

panic(cpu 0 caller .....)" "Unable to finder driver for
    this platform: \"ACPI\". ... xnu-1699.26.8/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1504

This is not typical of the upgrade process. So I searched the Internet for `IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1504` and some people said it is a hard drive error, but then I powered down and pressed the Options key when booting up, and was able to boot to Windows 7 (bootcamp)... and was able to boot to the "Recovery", which let me choose

1. Restore from Back up
    2. Reinstall Lion
    3. ....
    4. ....

what should I do now to fix it so that it can boot again?

2. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Check out this thread and the two Apple Support threads in my OP.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1384752

Don't panic, you should be able to restore Lion over the internet or from a recent Time Machine Back-up without loosing your personal files/settings.