After the initial rush, when will a new iPhone be easy to find?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PD081, Jun 15, 2009.

1. PD081 macrumors member

So I'm planning on getting an iPhone after they come out, but not until after the initial rush is over and I won't have to wait in line to buy one. When do you think they will be restocked and easily available? Maybe 2 weeks after launch? I'm not sure how it was when the iPhone 3G came out so I'm just wondering.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

it wasnt that hard to get a 3g like 2 weeks after so id assume the same

3. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Due to the inability of some users being unable to update without paying a large fee, plus the declining state of the economy, I wouldn't be surprised if the 3GS has little supply issues.

But since I have no idea of Apple's production schedule, I can't give an honest guesstimate.

4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Well if the initial rush is at 7:30am, I'm guessing you should be able to easily get yours around 5:30pm at the Apple Store?

There isn't going to be as big of a rush for this one.

5. PD081 thread starter macrumors member

6. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

There won't be as big of a rush this time around compared to last year. Majority of 3G users will not be upgrading immediately (if at all).

7. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I'm sure there will be plenty of 3G users who are "gotta-have-it". But I agree the demand will be lower this year.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Release day is going to be slow as hell as everyone needs to be activated in the shops. I don't think it will be hard to get one on release day I just think that the lines won't be worth it. I'm waiting until after the weekend.

9. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

And as long as the servers don't crash like they did last year, we should get through the lines a lot faster. That was a debacle!

10. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I don't remember, did they allow preorders last year? That may help take some of the load off the servers since people will be getting their phones at a variety of different times. It will spread the load throughout the day.

11. mikey28 macrumors 6502

Considering there really was no sweet deal to upgrade this time, I don't think it's be a huge phenomenon like last year.

The price point is large, and I think many will just keep the 3G.

And considering AT&T DROPPED THE BALL with the MMS, the video and pictures aren't going to be as FUN.

(That being said, I did order a 32GB white...)

12. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I said this in another thread, but I won't be surprised if MMS IS working friday. I'm wondering if this is a case of AT&T learning from its mistakes and not promising MMS on day one. Considering MMS is active on every phone in their line-up, I don't see what would keep the iPhone from sending them. AT&T may just have a built-in excuse in case it, for some reason, doesn't work.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    The economy is nowhere near to what it was last summer.
    There will be plenty in stock.

14. mikey28 macrumors 6502

I understand what you're saying, but if that's the case then 3.0 release must be changed. I have the GM build and it includes NO MENTION of MMS capability. Earlier builds did: camera icon included in messages, etc...

So don't plan on MMS magically appearing on Friday, cuz AT&T is out of magic sprinkles.

15. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

So, 3.0.1 is already in the works ready to turn MMS on?

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think MMS will just need a carrier update thru itunes not a whole new software build like 3.0.1

17. admanimal macrumors 68040

Just because the MMS options aren't obviously visible to you doesn't mean they aren't in the software, waiting to be activated by a carrier update.

18. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Ahhh... I see.