After the update my fans are going crazy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Speedy113, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Speedy113 macrumors newbie

Hi

I installed the update the other day and since then, my Macbook runs hotter and the fans are going crazy when watching Youtube etc. Never had this problem before the update, is anyone else experiencing this??

2. simsaladimbamba

What temperatures and fan speed(s) are you experiencing with what Mac (you wrote MacBook, but this is the MacBook Pro sub forum) and with what update (10.6.7 I presume)?
    Do you use a dedicated GPU?
    Use iStat Pro to monitor fan speed(s) and temperatures (Celsius or Fahrenheit, and if you like Kelvin).

Btw, Flash is CPU intensive.

Also have a look at Activity Monitor (Applications / Utilities /) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

3. Speedy113 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

Its a macbook pro 2011 13. iStat was showing 90 Celsius and the fans were 4500 ish. I noticed it after 10.6.7. update and never before, even though i was reading on here people were having this kind of trouble before the update

4. keithmcbeath macrumors newbie

Same issue

Just updated my MacBookPro 17' A1229 to 10.6.7. Fans going full 6000 rpm on startup. Current temp is 36°. No processor activity at all. Istat says 90% idle. Also have SMC fan control installed and set to run at 2000 but it is doing nothing. Cannot get fans to slow down at all. Have reset SMC and also PRAM but no difference. Going to try hardware test when I am back in work tomorrow. Anybody got any other ideas. Is this an update issue?

5. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

take it to an apple store

my update was fine

6. keithmcbeath macrumors newbie

I have now updated 3 MacBook Pros and the fans are going nuts on all of them. All of them are at least 4 years old. So the three MacBook Pros that I have done are the 2.4 GHz A1229, 2.33 Ghz A1212 and the 2.16 GHz A1151. All of them have fans running at 6000rpm immediately from startup. Both running approximately 95% idle. Temps between 35° and 40°. I have reset SMC and PRAM but that has not helped. This cant be coincidence.