After the update, workout app again miss counts exercise time

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by solideliquid, May 19, 2015.

1. solideliquid macrumors 6502

solideliquid

This hasn't happened since I got the watch at launch. I took my phone with me, as when I went out for a run/jog the watch said I should bring me phone with me for 20 minutes. I assume that's for some sort of calibration. Well I ran/jogged for 32 minutes outside, used the "outdoor run" setting in the workout app. When I get home, it says I only exercised for 18 minutes! So frustrating!

2. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

3. Trent0341 macrumors 6502

What was your average HR, pace, and distance during your exercise?

4. flur macrumors 68000

The activity app uses your heart rate to determine what it counts as exercise. If your HR was only noticeably elevated* for 18 of the 32 minutes, then that's all it will count.

*I have no idea how the AW decides what's elevated enough to be exercise, just that it uses some calcs to figure it out.

I do know that if you use "Other" then the entire workout is counted as exercise, regardless of HR.

5. Gooberton macrumors 65816

I think it also uses your base resting heart rate to give a variable elevated heart rate depending on each person

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Exercise= Heart Rate > X (none of us know what X is) + Movement.

To ensure proper heart rate detection where your watch about an inch higher and away from your hand. If you exercised for 30 minutes and the app registers less it's probably not reading your heart rate properly.

7. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I went for a brisk walk this morning for 60 minutes. Got 11 minutes exercise c edit. Big change since the update

8. djpraize macrumors member

This is my problem as well. I am going to try the "other" exercise trick next.

9. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

10. alexcue macrumors regular

alexcue

That is a big difference! I don't run, just walk, and since I got the AW I learned real quick that if I want 15 minutes of credit, i have to walk at least 16-17 minutes to get those 15 minutes briskly, and I usually keep moving there after for a bit.

My first walk only had about 10 minutes of exercise showing up.

11. ItsGavinC macrumors 6502

I used the "outdoor walk" choice this morning and it correctly counted all of my time as exercise.

My heart rate was in the 105-110bpm range the entire time, which is what it was prior to the update, and I never had problems then either.

So for me, no change and everything working the same.

12. kitkat2 macrumors member

Wow! I went for 2 short outdoor walks yesterday and got no exercise minutes for either. The first was 25 min, 139 bpm average. For the 2nd walk I screwed up the stats a bit because I forgot to pause it when I made a stop, but it still showed 117 bpm.

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

My 35 minute walk yielded 24 minutes of exercise. Then again the area where I live has some nice hills that make my heart rate climb to 150.

14. Shawnlock macrumors newbie

Posted this on another update thread too... Haven't tracked any exercise but the HR function is monitoring a lot less frequently during the day. Gaps of 3-7 hours. I thought it was back on track after I did it "manually" in glances but seem like that only worked for the very next sample.

15. solideliquid thread starter macrumors 6502

solideliquid

This is ridiculous! I took the phone with me again to calibrate, walked BRISKLY for 32 minutes, with an average HR of 115 and it ONLY recorded 13 minutes of exercise.

Getting pretty frustrated.