After threads are closed.......

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
2,405
0
After a thread is locked up or deleted it should be taken off the main page. I find it annoying when I often click a thread and its been locked up.
 

stoid

macrumors 601
I browse primarily forum side, so I don't have the same problem though I can understand how it might be irritating. From the forum, those threads have a little lock icon next to them. So even if they can't be removed from the main page, maybe a little notifier next to them that they are closed might be nice.
 
Comment

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
2,405
0
stoid said:
So even if they can't be removed from the main page, maybe a little notifier next to them that they are closed might be nice.
Yea, something like that would be just as good.
 
Comment

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
3,225
0
somewhere between here and there.
killuminati said:
After a thread is locked up or deleted it should be taken off the main page. I find it annoying when I often click a thread and its been locked up.
If a thread is locked don't click the thread. You can tell if a thread is locked by the icon on your left. ;) :)


Not sure if you knew that. :)
 
Comment

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
2,405
0
maya said:
If a thread is locked don't click the thread. You can tell if a thread is locked by the icon on your left. ;) :)


Not sure if you knew that. :)
Yes I did know that but if you are just looking on the right side of the main page it doesnt show you those icons.
 
Comment

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,561
0
VA
We very rarely just close threads now, if its a problem thread its going to the wasteland.

Are there any threads you're worried about in particular?

D
 
Comment

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
2,405
0
Mr. Anderson said:
We very rarely just close threads now, if its a problem thread its going to the wasteland.

Are there any threads you're worried about in particular?

D
Well it happens quite frequently to me. The one that happened a couple minutes ago that made me write this was something about avatars on the site forum.
 
Comment

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
1,789
1
Germany
I have to second this wish. These whole spam threads about free anythings always get closed but remain on the front page, for example.
 
Comment

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
1,541
0
afk
It might be tough to implement this I think. Since the main page are not "live" pages but rather updated on a regularly basis of about perhaps every few minutes.

or perhaps, they can do a force refresh each time they close a thread.
 
Comment

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
1,789
1
Germany
angelneo said:
It might be tough to implement this I think. Since the main page are not "live" pages but rather updated on a regularly basis of about perhaps every few minutes.

or perhaps, they can do a force refresh each time they close a thread.
It’s not just that I think. The main page gets updated and these closed threads go down the line when posts are made in other threads, but they don’t disappear, although they’re closed.
 
Comment

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
2,405
0
Veldek said:
It’s not just that I think. The main page gets updated and these closed threads go down the line when posts are made in other threads, but they don’t disappear, although they’re closed.
Yea, that seems to be whats happening.
 
Comment

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
1,541
0
afk
Veldek said:
It’s not just that I think. The main page gets updated and these closed threads go down the line when posts are made in other threads, but they don’t disappear, although they’re closed.
You are right... I guess we can only wait for arn to fix this bug
 
Comment

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,239
4
angelneo said:
You are right... I guess we can only wait for arn to fix this bug
i wouldnt say its a bug, its just that the front page gets refreshed slower than the forums, because of the way the database is set up. if you really want to avoid closed threads browse from the forums, or be sure to check when you first open the page.
 
Comment

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
5,124
2
North Carolina
Here's a suggestion: If you close a thread because it's a duplicate, include a link in the thread itself so we know where to look for additional comments on the thread topic. I just experienced this with the tom's hardware thread. I found the right thread with the "search" feature, but it would have been nice just to click on the link.
 
Comment

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,239
4
wordmunger said:
Here's a suggestion: If you close a thread because it's a duplicate, include a link in the thread itself so we know where to look for additional comments on the thread topic. I just experienced this with the tom's hardware thread. I found the right thread with the "search" feature, but it would have been nice just to click on the link.
there was a link in that thread when i looked at it, they must have added it, the gods must have heard you, but its a good idea for sure, makes sure we know why the thread was closed and where we can go and talk about it
 
Comment

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
5,124
2
North Carolina
PlaceofDis said:
there was a link in that thread when i looked at it, they must have added it, the gods must have heard you, but its a good idea for sure, makes sure we know why the thread was closed and where we can go and talk about it
Wow... talk about service! The gods heard me six minutes before I made my post here. Thanks!
 
Comment

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
12,107
75
Solon, OH
wordmunger said:
Here's a suggestion: If you close a thread because it's a duplicate, include a link in the thread itself so we know where to look for additional comments on the thread topic. I just experienced this with the tom's hardware thread. I found the right thread with the "search" feature, but it would have been nice just to click on the link.
I did this in a duplicate thread I found that I didn't report yet, and, at least the last time I checked it, hadn't yet been locked.

Here's the thread in question: link to duplicate thread
 
Comment

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
3,937
174
Madison
Mr. Anderson said:
We very rarely just close threads now, if its a problem thread its going to the wasteland.

Are there any threads you're worried about in particular?

D
I have seen more closed threads with the addition of the new mods, more so than usual. Some were closed unjustly IMO, but thats another issue. I find it rather dissapointing when I click on a thread, hoping to post only to find it has been closed.
 
Comment

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
12,107
75
Solon, OH
Mudbug said:
I've wastelanded that dupe thread now.

Please just report them when you see them - cleanup is generally much quicker that way.

Thanks :)
I'd suggest adding to the report bad post dialog that reporting duplicate threads is done here too. That's why I was hesitant to report it.
 
Comment

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
wrldwzrd89 said:
I'd suggest adding to the report bad post dialog that reporting duplicate threads is done here too. That's why I was hesitant to report it.
Well there's a few counterintuitive things about reporting threads... but reporting them is the only way to get the job done.

Of course with the last forum upgrade some of the things that the forum software used to take care of automatically, isn't done anymore.
 
Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
37,751
3,856
Los Angeles
If a thread is spam, it gets wastelanded, so it shouldn't be in any of the forums that are summarized on the front page. Right?

There is a delay before the front page gets generated every so often, but deleted threads, which are rare, should disappear too.

If there are multiple threads on the same topic, we try either to post a link to the "live" thread in the closed one, so a click will put you in the right place, or we merge the threads and nothing gets closed.

Otherwise, if a thread is closed for veering off topic or some other reason, does that necessarily mean it is no longer worth reading?
 
Comment

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
12,107
75
Solon, OH
Doctor Q said:
If a thread is spam, it gets wastelanded, so it shouldn't be in any of the forums that are summarized on the front page. Right?

There is a delay before the front page gets generated every so often, but deleted threads, which are rare, should disappear too.

If there are multiple threads on the same topic, we try either to post a link to the "live" thread in the closed one, so a click will put you in the right place, or we merge the threads and nothing gets closed.

Otherwise, if a thread is closed for veering off topic or some other reason, does that necessarily mean it is no longer worth reading?
Even if a thread ends up in the Wasteland, it still shows up as something recently added there, which I believe to be deliberate. At first I couldn't figure out what you meant by the front page, but it just hit me now what you were referring to. :eek:

I would think that little threads with only a few posts get closed, while bigger threads get merged into the main thread. Is this reasoning correct?
 
Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
37,751
3,856
Los Angeles
wrldwzrd89 said:
I would think that little threads with only a few posts get closed, while bigger threads get merged into the main thread. Is this reasoning correct?
That choice is made case by case. If there is content that everybody ought to see from both threads, it makes sense to merge them. But if two threads already have different discussions going about the same topic, merging them would sometimes lead to confusion.
 
Comment

Similar threads

  • groverb
8
Replies
8
Views
1K
  • Huntn
3
Replies
3
Views
515
Replies
3
Views
1K
  • camelia
2
Replies
2
Views
785
  • Huntn
2
Replies
2
Views
1K
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.