Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Tyson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
and having the 1st gen IPP 12.9, I think I'm now one of those that can't go without the larger screen size of the 12.9.

I had initially thought the difference in size between 9.7 and 10.5 IPP was so noticeable and that the 10.5 would be a good middle ground between 9.7 and the 12.9. I think the 10.5 is still in the small side for me.

I have now been used to the 12.9 screen. I love using it for video viewing, surfing the web, and mult-tasking is nice with two almost same size of a 9.7 ipad screen.

The 10.5 is not considerably lighter than the 12.9. The only time the 12.9 feels heavier is if you hold it in landscape mode for some time. When Im on the toilet, I don't use the 12.9 in that orientation when viewing content. I hold it up portrait orientation and the weight doesn't bother me. This orientation is still enough screen for most people I say. It's the equivalent of having a regular ipad in landscape mode but another screen right below.

The Apple pencil performance on the 10.5 is nice but to me, it is not head and shoulders above the performance on the 1st gen 12.9.

In closing, I think I'll be keeping my 12.9 or I may get the newer 12.9. I bet the promotion screen and true is really nice at this screen size.

Anyone else feel this way after trying out the 10.5?

Max Your Macs

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2008
Daytona Beach, FL
and having the 1st gen IPP 12.9, I think I'm now one of those that can't go without the larger screen size of the 12.9.

I had initially thought the difference in size between 9.7 and 10.5 IPP was so noticeable and that the 10.5 would be a good middle ground between 9.7 and the 12.9. I think the 10.5 is still in the small side for me.

I have now been used to the 12.9 screen. I love using it for video viewing, surfing the web, and mult-tasking is nice with two almost same size of a 9.7 ipad screen.

The 10.5 is not considerably lighter than the 12.9. The only time the 12.9 feels heavier is if you hold it in landscape mode for some time. When Im on the toilet, I don't use the 12.9 in that orientation when viewing content. I hold it up portrait orientation and the weight doesn't bother me. This orientation is still enough screen for most people I say. It's the equivalent of having a regular ipad in landscape mode but another screen right below.

The Apple pencil performance on the 10.5 is nice but to me, it is not head and shoulders above the performance on the 1st gen 12.9.

In closing, I think I'll be keeping my 12.9 or I may get the newer 12.9. I bet the promotion screen and true is really nice at this screen size.

You and I are exactly in the same boat here. I have loved my first gen IPP 12.9" and the specs of the 10.5" got my attention. I found a great open box deal at Best Buy so I jumped on it and I have been trying it for a few days. I do like the size being a little smaller for when I need to walk around with it while using it, but that's not all that often. Also, the faster pencil and ProMotion are there but like you said, not earth shattering differences. If you are coming from an older iPad 3 o Air yeah you will probably see a bigger difference. My Apple Pencil works great on both and for taking notes and normal tasks the latency is a non issue. Some of these things you have to benchmark or be soooo tuned in to paying attention to for them to even be apparent. In normal work, composing documents in Word, taking notes in Notes or OneNote, typing browsing the internet, working with Mail.... everything is about the same honestly. Maybe a weeeee bit of snappiness here an there to the 10.5" but hard to tell most times.

Now, the major impact is getting used to everything being downsized for the smaller screen. Split View suffers the most and with iOS 11 bringing much more to the table for multitasking so the larger screen seems to be the logical choice to make the most of it.

I'm still on the fence though. I like them both for different reasons. I already have the 12.9" with all the accessories and just using a make-do case with the 10.5" for now until I decide on what to do there since Apple is not making a rear cover for these. More expense added to a compromised, smaller experience I keep thinking. Tough decision which does go to show that they are both fantastic devices, but the decision lies in what suits an individual best.

Reactions: TimurCologne

Mac Tyson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
I'm also finding it easier to have the 12.9 with ASK stay on my lap than the 10.5 w/ ASK. With the 10.5, I have to basically have my feet together to have it stay on my lap. Little things like this.

I'm glad I am able to try it out. I'm now leaning towards getting a 2017 12.9. The performance just doubles the 2015 in Compute areas in Geekbench. I thought the 1st gen was powerful enough but there's no doubt the 2017 will be very smooth and fast.

Reactions: Precursor

Max Your Macs

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2008
Daytona Beach, FL
I'm also finding it easier to have the 12.9 with ASK stay on my lap than the 10.5 w/ ASK. With the 10.5, I have to basically have my feet together to have it stay on my lap. Little things like this.

I'm glad I am able to try it out. I'm now leaning towards getting a 2017 12.9. The performance just doubles the 2015 in Compute areas in Geekbench. I thought the 1st gen was powerful enough but there's no doubt the 2017 will be very smooth and fast.

Agreed. I'm thinking of something along these lines too. The 12.9, to me at least, is more of the Pro device with the expanded capabilities you don't have on th smaller one. Better software keyboard, better Split View, etc. the only real advantage to the smaller one is the smaller size and again, half a pound isn't much to worry about.

TimurCologne

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2016

Yes, I bought the 10.5" when it first came out but I ended up returning it and buying a 12.9" second gen! I loved first the size of the 10.5" iPP, but almost every time I'm writing (smaller display keyboard) or drawing, I sort of regret not getting the 12.9". So when I got my 12.9-inch iPad Pro I was blown away by how much of a better experience it was!

The big screen is absolutely GORGEOUS.

It's bigger and bulkier yes, but you can draw on it way better, and the Speakers are so much better, its also a great Netflix Machine I love it! No regrets!

Max Your Macs

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2008
Daytona Beach, FL
Yes, I bought the 10.5" when it first came out but I ended up returning it and buying a 12.9"! I loved first the size of the 10.5" iPP, but almost every time I'm writing (smaller display keyboard) or drawing, I sort of regret not getting the 12.9". So when I got my 12.9-inch iPad Pro I was blown away by how much of a better experience it was!

The big screen is absolutely GORGEOUS.

It's bigger and bulkier yes, but you can draw on it way better, and the Speakers are so much better, its also a great Netflix Machine I love it! No regrets!
Good point about the speakers too! Yes, the 12.9 speakers are wayyyyyy better!

TimurCologne

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2016
Good point about the speakers too! Yes, the 12.9 speakers are wayyyyyy better!

Yess, you really notice the difference when watching movies or listen to music on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro... The viewing & listening experience is just soooo much better than it was on the smaller 10.5" iPad!

Archer1778

macrumors member
May 1, 2017
Charlotte
I totally agree with this! I initially purchased the 10.5” but wanted the bigger screen... The 12.9 is just outstanding with how much of a jump it feels from the 10.5”...

Reactions: Precursor

Mac Tyson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Any recommendations for a back cover? I might mod my 1st gen back cover if Apple doesn't come out with one or get something from Amazon.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yess, you really notice the difference when watching movies or listen to music on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro... The viewing & listening experience is just soooo much better than it was on the smaller 10.5" iPad!

What's interesting about the quad Speakers is the frequency is transferred based on how your holding it in landscape or portrait, which the top two speakers produce mild and high tones. Which ultimately helps how the speakers sound.

seadragon

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2009
When Im on the toilet, I don't use the 12.9 in that orientation when viewing content. I hold it up portrait orientation and the weight doesn't bother me. This orientation is still enough screen for most people I say. It's the equivalent of having a regular ipad in landscape mode but another screen right below.

LOL... Now there's something that not many would probably admit to, but so true. The iPad really is a great toilet tablet (and I mean that in a good way). Nothing like viewing a 13 inch screen while dropping friends off a the pool!

:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.