After trying to print from another network local printer won't connect.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by reubs, Apr 4, 2007.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

I was at school the other night, and I stupidly tried to print from the network there. When I was working at home today, I tried to print on my home network, but the printer didn't show up and I couldn't locate it.

Anyone have any ideas what I need to do there?

Thanks in advance.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How is your home network and network printer set up?

3. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

My home network looks like this: Cable modem and desktop PC plugged into wireless router, and the printer is plugged into the desktop PC. I can only print from my laptop when the PC is powered on, but that's not the problem here. I can't even seem to locate the printer on the network at this time. It's pretty frustrating, but I'm not really sure what I can do b/c the "Printer Set up utility" isn't detecting anything.

Thanks again for any help.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If your printer is connected to your PC, then you are going to have to share it from your PC. You will have to connect to click on More Printers... and then choose Windows Printing from the resulting popup menu. You cannot use the vendor-supplied USB driver. You will have to use a CUPS drivers provided by Gutenprint or the Linux Foundation's OpenPrinting group, inistead. [A very few vendors support CUPS.] The PDF in the Gutenprint download and the MacOS X Help menu should give you the additional help that you need.

5. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

So even though I've used my home printer from my home network just fine for the past six months I'll haave to go in and reset everything again?

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What you have to do depends on what you want to do and how you configure your network. So far, you have yet to state what kind of printer you have or how you are connecting to it. So any specific information that anyone on this board can give you is just a wild @$$ guess.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

While we're waiting for the details, have a read through this. :)