After update, phone restored by itself.

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by petrucci666, Nov 1, 2012.

1. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

2. acarney macrumors 6502

I actually had the same issue. The update SEEMED to go fine but when the phone went to boot after the update it was at the "plug into iTunes" screen. Very frustrating as my restore from iCloud take about 2 hrs before I can use the phone and about 5 hours total before pics and apps are all back... all for a little 0.0.1 update :confused:

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That's odd...I installed the little applet (Installer) when prompted on my phone, and it then did the entire update without issues....Then plugged into Itunes and did a backup....All is well. Did you install the app from settings>general>software prior to updating? It should have done it automatically.

4. acarney macrumors 6502

I followed this procedure except after the little applet ran it tried to automatically start the iOS update and after showing the verify screen it then gave me a notice box saying there was an error and it couldn't update. I restarted the phone and then it again automatically wanted to do the iOS update as soon as it booted iOS again. So I then let it and it got fully updated and then as it was about to reboot gave me the "Plug into iTunes"

AT&T iPhone 5 here

Why did you do a backup after the update? Do you actually mean you backed up the new OS after the update, or did you have to connect it to gather your old settings and such? I'm used to most people just grabbing the phone and going along with it until they are done for the day and do a normal backup routine (be it iCloud or Sync, just found it odd you backed up immediately AFTER the iOS update :p )

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Just a habit...I always make a backup both before ( which is automatic anyway) and after....That way if IOS 6.0.1 starts acting up, I can go back.. I used to trust these updates, but I've become careful lately....The failed Safari update is yet anothet example..Apple need to get a grip on the software side of things...Sure, they are developing and releasing great new devices, but the software needs to be up to scratch...Lately this has not been the case.

6. petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It didn't happen immediately after the update for me.

I installed 6.0.1 around noon today, been using it all day and had no problems. Tonight at around 7pm I found the phone at the welcome screen. It wasn't charging, stncing or doing anything. It was just sitting there.

7. jjp007 macrumors regular

jjp007

updated my ipad via the usb connected to my iMac and i got an error message and had to store to factory settings....not happy at all. Not doing my iphone now.