After update to High Sierra my mac mini is slow

JEREZANO

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2014
have a Mac mini late 2012 with Samsung pro 512Gb SSD make clean intall to high sierra and the ssd now is APFS format supposed to be for better performance on SSD but now my mac mini turn on 43 seconds and before with sierra was 17 seconds and issues also with bootcamp windows 10 very slow... I make again clean install and back to sierra now is back again with super speed with extended jouneral format....

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
Seems to me this is being discussed in other threads here.
Try turning TRIM -off- (if possible).
See if that makes a difference.

Of course, the Mini may boot faster, but then again, TRIM won't be working...

Last edited:

Micky Do

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2012
An island in the Andaman Sea.
have a Mac mini late 2012 with Samsung pro 512Gb SSD make clean intall to high sierra and the ssd now is APFS format supposed to be for better performance on SSD but now my mac mini turn on 43 seconds and before with sierra was 17 seconds and issues also with bootcamp windows 10 very slow... I make again clean install and back to sierra now is back again with super speed with extended jouneral format....
Same for a friend when he updated his iMac to High Sierra.... not sure what model but more recent than 2012. And have heard of others having a similar experience. However, given a bit of time, once the system settles and gets files all sorted, full functionality returns.

I had been reluctant to update my 2009 Mac Mini (5 GB RAM & original HDD) from Mountain Lion to El Capitan (not supported for MacOS 10.12 or later), given the suggestion by MacRumors x-perts & cynics that, without more RAM and a SSD, performance would suffer. However, I was starting to have some issues with some apps including MacRumors not working well without a more recent version of Safari, it became apparent that an update was increasingly necessary.......

...... So I bit the bullet a couple of weeks ago and did the update to El Capitan, which was relatively straight forward. Once installed it was a bit laggy initially, more so with some apps than others. Photos, for example, was initially all but unusable. However, given a few days it came right..... In most respects El Capitan has been a improvement. The advice of forum dilettantes was tosh.

Even Photos works OK now, albeit lacking some of the editing tools that I enjoyed with iPhoto. It seems they have been restored and more have been added and are available with more recent versions of MacOS..... Incentive to replace my nearly 9 year-old Mini at some stage, but not a high priority for now.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
Just got 10.13 High Sierra on my 2010 Mac Mini (ssd, 8gb ram). Seems to be doing ok. Definitely not as fast as El Capitan but not bad at all. My Macbook Air 11 2015 was slow as heck for awhile after High Sierra. After awhile it got faster.

MRrainer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
When I update to HighSierra, I will also need to update OmniGraffle (using 5.something) and VMWare Fusion (at 7.0 currently).
So, the "free" update will not be so free.

And now that I think of it, I hope that those old Garmin Apps for my old GPS still work in HighSierra. I don't use them very often and as such I'd hate spend even more money on that. That GPS cost more than my iPhone 3GS back then (it predates it).

hartleymartin

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2016
Sydney, Australia
I am having a different problem. After the upgrade to High Sierra 10.13.2 my 2010 Mac Mini (8gb RAM, 120Gb SSD) will only display 1024x768 and then has stopped playing nice with my Samsung TV. It was being used for Media and Netflix Streaming.

TC_GoldRush

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2017
Nevada, USA
2012... that's 6 years ago. You're trying to run the latest and greatest software on dated hardware, has that ever gone through your head yet?

jay47

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2012
Yeah, I know!
You're trying to run dated 2012 hardware on new 2017 software, see the connection I'm trying to make? Of course your Mac will be slow!
My mini runs the same with high sierra as sierra . Only reason I'm not using it is because of all the issues high sierra has , see the numerous post on this site .

And before you tell me your computer has no issue doesn't mean others dont & it's their " dated " hardware causing the slowness when its well documented on this site APFS has issues with third party SSD with trim enabled.

By your same logic . Your running a 3 yr old dated 6s plus of course there will be freezes , see the connection I'm trying to make?