After using bluetooth headset as an audio device, sound quality is terrible

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by -tWv-, Aug 4, 2010.

1. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I just got a new bluetooth headset for my iphone and I set it up fine and everything worked and I decided to also try it for my mac and see if I could play music on it or anything. I paired it with the mac and chose the option to "use as audio device (mono)" and started playing some music through the headset. It obviously sounded terrible because the headset was not meant for this purpose so I disconnected it and deselected the option to use it as an audio device.

It seems that using this as an audio device has done something to the mac sound output because now all the music i play out of the internal speakers or through headphones sounds very muffled and terrible. I think that it changed all outputs to mono but I have no idea how to change it back. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    touchdownjesus4

2. tonyunreal macrumors regular

tonyunreal

The option you mentioned should only specify OSX to use the headset as a device compliant to the Bluetooth Handsfree protocol(which is mono), as opposed to the A2DP protocol for stereo music playback, it shouldn't affect the sound quality on other output devices at all.

Could you check out what the current default output device is in the sound preferences of OSX? Also try a reboot to see if that fixes the problem for you.

3. zacharace macrumors member

+1 for the latter suggestion. One of my first steps is always a reboot ;)

Good luck!

4. Solowalker macrumors regular

Fix?

I know someone having the same issue right now. Just wanting to know if this is something that happens frequently to you, touchdownjesus4. Did the reboot fix it? Has it happened since? I'm curious to figure out what caused it in the first place...

5. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I haven't tried to use the same bluetooth headset since that happened.. but yes the reboot fixed the problem and the sound quality was back to normal and it hasn't happened again.