After waking MBP, battery indicator changed from 80%(few secs) to 74%,is this normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doxavita, Jan 11, 2011.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

Today after waking up my MBP, the battery indicator read 80% for just a few seconds (I left it at that percentage yesterday) and then changed to 74% (this is the accurate reading), is this normal?

thanks!

2. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Yes, that is normal. You lost about 6% percent battery charge during the time it was asleep (your Mac draws battery power in sleep mode to power the sleep indicator light). The 80% you saw was the last reported battery charge when you put your machine to sleep. When the System has fully loaded and refreshed its readings from the battery system, it reports the current charge (74%) which is what you have now. You did not suddenly drop 6%, but you lost 6% in the time in which your machine was in sleep mode.

Hope this helps

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your MBP will use about 1% of battery power for every hour of sleep, give or take. This is perfectly normal.

4. simsaladimbamba

The battery also powers the RAM (most important, as the RAM stores all open applications and documents, unless they have been swapped) and the Bluetooth adapter (to be able to receive signals from Bluetooth devices to wake the computer - if it is setup that way) and the battery charge indicator lights.

5. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Mac laptops have always lost tons of power when you sleep them for several days...the only ones that last several days and fare very, very well are the new MacBook Airs, this is because of the "deep sleep" feature which stores your current state in FLASH instead of physical RAM, allowing it to sleep for up to a month at a time with very little loss in battery power.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

A lot of people don't know this or think 1%/hour is too much.

7. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have had mine in sleep when not using it (for several months now), and leave it plugged in to the wall most of the time too. So every 2-3 days I try to drain it to 50%.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's a fact, whether they know about it or not, or whether they think it's too much:

Apple Portables: Battery terminology and key concepts

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Totally agree. I think there was a thread last week where someone was complaining how it shouldn't do it or his old MacBook Pro never did that or someting...:confused: Many still think that because the computer is sleeping, there isn't a power draw.

10. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

This was more of the type of answer I was looking for.

Yes, I know, I already read that, it came in handy, thanks.

I already knew about that 1% draining per hour of sleep.