Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
I have to say, that they did address a lot of issues that bothered me with the iPhone.

My issues: Small screen. It's still too small for me now that I have been spoiled by the S3.

Speakers: Stupid location which caused volume to muffle when holding in landscape mode has been fixed and done well.

Camera: Not that the camera wasn't great, but they didn't leave it behind.

The other features ie: LTE etc, was merely a catch up to Android, but I wonder how the battery will compare. It looks very favourable!

I think I could be tempted if it weren't for the screen still being a bit small for my likes now, I could live with that if they allowed us to hide icons on the screens and to customize where we put them. I know that sounds petty, but it is one thing that I like very much about Android.

The phone may not be to everyone's taste, but they really did overhaul it, regardless of design complaints.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Couldn't agree more. All of the complaints from last years 4s reveal were answered (screen, redesign, LTE) and some things that were already great (like the camera) got a bump too.

A worthy upgrade if there ever was one for the iPhone.

Eddy Munn

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
I'm moving up from a 3 years-old 3GS.
Have been seriously been considering Android depending on what Apple brought to the table today, but am honestly thinking of staying with the iPhone, it looks superb.
The SG3 is amazing, but just IMO a little too large.
Could always wait for Googles inevitable next Nexus phone, but that may be a while off, I don't think they will put out a phone in Q4.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I was very interested in the Nokia 920 Windows Phone due to be released Nov/Dec, but I wanted to see what Apple would do with the iPhone first before deciding what to upgrade to from my iPhone 4. After watching the keynote, I think I'm going to go with the Nokia this time round

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I think the iPhone 5 looks fantastic. Nobody even comes close to Apple in terms of hardware aesthetics. In terms of functionality, I personally don't find it compelling at all. I can see Apple becoming less of the dominating force they've been in mobile if iOS doesn't evolve past beng a glorified app drawer. They lost me, someone who didn't even consider choosing an alternative to the iPhone in the past. If they had something more clever up their sleeve than adding another row of apps to your home screen I think they could've convinced me to stay on board. The total lack of progress in iOS 6 was the real letdown.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
I'm moving up from a 3 years-old 3GS.

That's fair. After 3 years you probably have issues with poor batt life too. But as an iPhone 4 user I won't. The difference is too small for me. I have no need for LTE. The cost to upgrade is just too high. Maybe after my iPhone 4 hits 3 years....

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I think the iPhone 5 looks fantastic. Nobody even comes close to Apple in terms of hardware aesthetics. In terms of functionality, I personally don't find it compelling at all. I can see Apple becoming less of the dominating force they've been in mobile if iOS doesn't evolve past beng a glorified app drawer. They lost me, someone who didn't even consider choosing an alternative to the iPhone in the past. If they had something more clever up their sleeve than adding another row of apps to your home screen I think they could've convinced me to stay on board. The total lack of progress in iOS 6 was the real letdown.
I'm with you all the way. At least there will still be a very strong market for Jailbreaking. Since the OS is now proven to be a very static and unchanging OS, it will be a good, steady playing field for Jailbreakers.

snow blind

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
I'm with you all the way. At least there will still be a very strong market for Jailbreaking. Since the OS is now proven to be a very static and unchanging OS, it will be a good, steady playing field for Jailbreakers.
i'm also on board with all of you guys. Always the best in hardware... and most static in software. The "app drawer" comment was spot on.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
would have taken a big chuck of Android's market if they had released it with a 4.3-4.5" screen.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
All good statements in this thread. Just a few thoughts after I tried out an S3 last week.

I used to think the big screen was the be all, end all. I now see it as personal preference. I think what Apple did is good, though I wish they would have made it 4.3". I think this size will be good though.

As for the widgets and "icon drawer" stuff, I agree iOS needs to move past this. I loved the Android setup of a 4x4 grid that you could do with as you please. And all your apps are in one "Application" drawer and you could place the ones YOU WANT on a home screen. Fortunately, jailbreak alleviates all of these issues. Some better than others.

In the end, I find a jailbroken iPhone better for my uses than the Android. I'm still jealous of the native widgets and icon placement/app drawer.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
would have taken a big chuck of Android's market if they had released it with a 4.3-4.5" screen.

Very true, it's the only reason I'm looking elsewhere.

Will be interesting to see if Apple stays with this screen size, makes it longer again or actually goes ahead with a width increase.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Wait for the 5S

2h7jgio.png

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I think it's pretty silly to imply they are going to "just keep making it taller." They made it 16:9 this time, which is what most of the Android phones are already.

I do hope they figure out a way to squeeze the bezels top and bottom in a future revision. That is what makes the iPhone seem abnormally tall compared to others.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
Wait for the 5S

I actually lol'd :D

Wanna know something ironic? Maybe Jailbreaking the phone would give me all I desire in a phone with apple, HOWEVER, I don't WANT to have to jailbreak my phone. Funny coming from someone who bought a phone that you can flash various ROMs on etc hahah! But if I don't have to frig with it too deep, I am happy. Adding skins and widgets make me content enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.