After water spill, keyboard malfunctioning - replace myself or pay a pro??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lolocolo, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Lolocolo macrumors newbie

Hey all! So I spilled a decent amount of water (several tablespoons' worth) on my MacBook pro (2007, aluminum keys model) about a week ago. I tried to mop it up, and then like an idiot, figured "Hey it's still working! Everything must be fine!"

Cue to today, when about a third of the keyboard keys stop working. Sounds like I need a whole new keyboard, but there could possibly be other corrosion or damage as well. However, everything else seems to be working just fine, which makes me think the logic board etc isn't damaged?

So here's my question: Do I pay a pro to open it up, clean it all out, and replace the keyboard? Or do I replace it myself, knowing that I may not recognize any othe damage that may be there? Money is pretty tight right now (hello advanced degree yet no job) so i'd really like save the $150. Are there any potential consequences I should consider?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

2. randomrazr macrumors 65816

2007? u my as well buy a new macbook pro

3. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Pay a pro. Odds are you damaged the system board and you may or may not notice the damage when you take it apart.

Honestly, from reading this forum, your best bet is to eBay the Mac and TELL THE TRUTH in the listing. You may still get enough for a refurbished Mac from Apple. If it were me, that would be the option I'd go with.

If you had a job, I would suggest Apple instant credit. Your first purchase is interest free.

4. Lolocolo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ugh. Yikes. Well, thanks for the response (to jbac...). The first reply isn't all that helpful as, like I said, money is tight so I'm not in the market for a brand spankin new MacBook. Durr.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Anyone else??

5. randomrazr macrumors 65816

well thanks for not giving me any credit.

jsut saying macbooks have gone down in price since ur 2007. with the specs comapred to ur 2007, you will realize it was worth every penny and that a new one would last just as long as ur 2007 has.

but ok whatever

6. Lolocolo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey randomrazr, no hard feelings. Your more detailed post is helpful and I'll keep that in mind for when I'm employed again... Just hoping for a quick cheap fix for now!

7. randomrazr macrumors 65816

cool beans