Aftermarket cable

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by MPclk2006, Oct 2, 2013.

1. MPclk2006 macrumors regular

Don't know if this is common knowledge but apparently something is going on with IOS 7 and non-Apple iphone 5 charging cables. I had two from amazon (real cheap) and they stopped working, bought another one from a small store, they said they "buy them from Apple" but were in different packaging, didnt work. I had to buy an apple cable in order to be able to charge my phone.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It's not a mystery. Apple is cracking down on accessory makers who make cables,docks and other accessories without paying for proper licensing through Apple to be "certified".

3. HipsterGG macrumors member

HipsterGG

I'm just wondering, what is so bad about buying official Apple charging cables?

4. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

They're expensive and buying 2-3 will cost you close to $60.

Now buying them from amazon you could get 10 for $20.

5. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

You should read this thread. There are good third party cables that are less expensive. But they need to be Apple certified.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1639940

I for one have always bought my extra iPod/iPhone/iPad cables from Monoprice and they are fantastic. I use one of their 6' lighting cables at work everyday, the 30pin for 4 years, and now their lighting cable with my 5S.

6. kamalaggi macrumors member

Does anyone have a list of cables that work with ios7. The genuine apple one is too short. I need at least a 2 metre cable

7. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

This is what I use, and yes, they do come in white. Click the pic for the link.

[​IMG]

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Apparently its "too expensive". They fork out $199.99 ($550.00 off contract) for an iPhone and can't afford a $19.00 cable. :rolleyes:

On a positive note some people do actually want longer cables that Apple doesn't currently make so I can understand that.

9. MPclk2006 thread starter macrumors regular

when i bought the ones from amazon it was about saving money, when I bought the aftermarket one locally, it was 18 bucks (didnt realize the apple one was 19), then they traded it for another one to "help" me, they said that one was their "apple" cable and usually sold for $25, went to walmart and paid $19 for an apple brand, and I agree, they are very short.

10. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I use this cable every night and use it over night for the past 6-8 months. I just get an error but it still charges.

iXCC (TM) White 8-Pin Lightning Cable for Apple iPhone5, iPad4, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5th Gen, iPod Nano 7th Gen
    http://amzn.com/B0092HQJ7K

11. Kurso macrumors 6502

I keep a cable in my laptop bag, one in my car, one on my nightstand, one on my desk at home and one on my desk in the office.

So that's $199 for the phone and $95 in cables... thats the problem.

12. odin macrumors member

You don't have to by Apple cables. Look for Apple certified cables. They are cheaper. Amazon Essentials makes them. Monoprice, etc.

Sounds like the OP bought generic cables from amazon rather than the Amazon branded ones which are certified.

Most of the non-certified ones work fine they just show that message.

13. Kurso macrumors 6502

I bought non-certified ones off of eBay since I have 4 devices in the house that use the Lightning connector. One died after a couple of months. The others are just fine. Even if they die over time they are only a couple bucks a piece.

Worth it IMO.

14. Handsome Bacon macrumors regular

Handsome Bacon

Bought 2 6ft cables off of eBay for $7 shipped. They work fine under iOS7.

15. OCJeff macrumors regular

I think I bought my last Apple iPhone 5 cable for $14 from B&H no tax free shipping. I may be wrong, may have been J&R.

Regardless, it's not too much when you are plugging it into a $650-$850 product.

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I have an Amazon Basic cable which is officially license that is 6ft, cost me like $14.

17. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

I noticed with "aftermarket" non MFI cables that if you plugged in the cable when the screen is unlocked (home screen) it will give the error "This accessory is not supported" and won't charge at all.

But if you lock the phone (lock screen) and plug in the wire..it'll give the warning message but the phone will charge perfectly fine.

Note: this is for the 5S.

18. hyhybt macrumors member

Just to be absolutely clear: this only happens when the lightning cable itself is not approved? Not, say, when an Apple cable is at the end of a USB extension cable or plugged into an unapproved cigarette lighter adapter? Or does it somehow check all the way down the line, so to speak?

19. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Aftermarket cable

Only the cable needs to get approved. It does not matter what car charger or wall charger you use. Just have a certified cable to charge your device.

20. hyhybt macrumors member

Thanks.

(It matters a lot less if official cables are fairly short when you can add to them a 14' extension!)

21. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Same here, good cable. I still occasionally get the "Device not made for iPhone" warning but unplugging/reconnecting resolves it. I think dust/debris is the culprit a lot of the time.

22. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Like an old NES cartridge lol.

23. hyhybt macrumors member

Anyone tried spit-blowing into their iPhone's connector yet?