Aftermarket car HU and iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jeeva86, Dec 2, 2010.

1. jeeva86 macrumors newbie

Hello MR,

New here, trying to find out if there are any HUs which allow the music to be controlled via the iPhone. This way I can use apps which stream music or listen to music off YT. Also, I hope the HU doesn't conflict with iOS updates.

TIA.

2. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Most HU's come with an AUX (3.5mm) input. Use that, rather than the iPod USB option. While the USB option charges the phone, it locks the controls on the iPhone and forces you to use the HU's controls, which is what you don't want.

In short... buy a cigarette>USB adapter and use that to charge and connect iPhone to the AUX input. That way, you have full control of the iPhone at all times.

That way iOS updates won't conflict with the in-car operation since Apple can't lock what the 3.5mm jack connects to :p

3. matess212 macrumors newbie

http://us.kensington.com/html/14492.html LiquidAUX - not deLuxe one. excellent product, 18 months of use - ideal for iPhone.

4. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

As stated earlier, most HU's with iPod control lock down the iPod on the iPhone and force you to use the knobs and buttons on the HU itself for all iPod control. It can also be hit or miss with other audio functions on the phone like turn by turn nav or Pandora. My wife's '09 Hyundai for example, has a great sounding system, but lacks a play/pause control which is very frustrating when you want sounds other than iPod music.

If you're looking to replace an older HU, I'd get one with built in A2DP Bluetooth. While the sound quality thru Bluetooth isn't the absolute greatest, the astounding convenience and ease of use makes for a killer combo that many folks (like myself) consider to be a good trade-off.

Most A2DP equipped HU's pair automatically on startup, have built-in mics for hands free calling, and keep all iPod & other audio functionality on your iPhone.

I picked up a Sony MEX-BT38UW from a local Walmart for $188 and have been pretty happy with it.

5. daphuon2, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010

daphuon2 macrumors member

To warn you, this is a expensive option, but will do what you want it to do. I know, I have it and an iPhone 4.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...eo/In-Dash/GPS-Navigation-Systems/AVIC-Z120BT

The Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT will not only control your iPhone/iPod through the headunit, but theres an option in there that will let you control the music through your iPhone. With the iPhone plug in using the iPod cable, its charges, and all the info is show on the headunit, include the album art.
    Whats even better is, when you have the Pandora app open, it shows up on the head unit, you can switch tracks/stations, and even tag the song through the headunit. Why control the music through the iPhone when you have a full 7' widescreen to do it :).
    Ofcourse, you can stream music to it using bluetooth, you can also skip or pause tracks using the headunit (you can also buy the adapter and control it using the steering wheel controls).
    You can also play movies or music videos that are stored on your iPhone through the headunit also.
    There is even a way to trick it and stream anything that loads through the iPhone video app, that includes youtube or anything else that streams using the offical video app. I never tried it with any 3rd party apps.
    It does many more things, I'll let you do the research if you are interested.

But like I said, this is an expensive option. the headunit alone goes around 800+. Then theres the iPod cable and steering wheel adapter. You can also buy the HD, XM, or Sirius Radio addon.

Oh and before I forget. Yes, I have put music apps in the background while its connected through the iPod cable, and it still plays. I was able to skip tracks and stuff too. I usually do this when I'm checking sports scores, or texting =p. Oh and I have updated my iOS a few times (on my iPhone 3g) and it works fine.

6. jeeva86 thread starter macrumors newbie

The phone is locked when I want to use the HU for music??? So I can't txt while it's connected or make a call? That's pretty useless for me. What I have now is a BlitzSafe Aux cable that connects to the AUX in port located under my stock stereo and I have full control via my iPhone and it charges as well. I don't want to use the 3.5mm jack as that isn't a digital signal. I don't need a nav so the $800 pioneer is not needed.

I have emailed BlitzSafe to see if there is any way the cable can be used on an aftermarket HU.

7. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

No, you can text and use everything else BUT the iPod app. It will say "Accessory Connected" and you must control the playback of music from the HU.

There is a NoAccessorySplash (free) for jailbroken iPhones that works excellently however, if that's an option for you.

8. jeeva86 thread starter macrumors newbie

So what would happen if you attempted to play music via youtube or some other music app(pandora)?

NoAccessorySplash seems like it just hides that splash screen that you get when connected the device to an accessory :confused:.

NoAccessorySplash is a new tweak available on Cydia from ModMyi which will permit you to disable the splash screen when you plug your iDevice to accessories.

9. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

The music plays from Youtube and/or Pandora just fine.

The NoAccessorySplash disables the screen we've been referring to in this thread thus allowing you to use the iPod app as normal. The controls won't be locked.

10. jeeva86 thread starter macrumors newbie

That means you can control the music with either device, correct? Would it be showing which song is playing and stuff as if you're listening to them without the car HU?

If I can stream from YT and stuff, then it isn't so bad afterall :D.

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I've got a Pioneer unit that I have connected via dock cable and it works beautifully. My particular unit wants to have control of the iPod app but with NoAccessorySplay iOS4 it allows my iPhone to have control. Unfortunately you can't control it with the HU then but there is a SBSetting toggle to turn it on/off. Also, to play any system sound through the system I connect the cable, pause the music (it auto plays the iPod app) and then any other music automatically comes through (YouTube, whatever). This all depends on the make and model of your HU though and the type of connection so YMMV

12. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

13. bmms8 macrumors 68020

guys, i have an iphone 4 and a pioneer 3200UB stereo. i use pandora and i connet the usb cable from the HU to the phone to charge and listen to music. i need to have the HU in ipod mode for the phone to be able to double tap swipe right for ipod controls...

my question is, i want to skip tracks even for pandora with my HU, is this possible with my HU? thanks!

14. bmms8 macrumors 68020

well i put a few songs on my iphone and i connected the phone the same way to my HU and the HU was able to skip tracks. i wish it worked with pandora :(

does anyone have a solution? thanks!

15. bmms8 macrumors 68020

if anyone has the same problem with me, there are two things you need to do in order to skip pandora tracks with the pioneer HU..

1. make sure the HU is in iPod mode and not audio mode
    2. have a couple songs on your iPod in your iPhone. once connected via usb, the songs on your ipod app will play through the HU. all you need to do is press pause in iPod then open pandora. once started you can forward tracks with the HU.

16. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

I have a Pioneer DEH-P6100BT and works great with the iPhone. You can adjust the settings for the iPhone to be controlled by the HU or the iPhone itself.

17. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

I have the Alpine CDA-117 and it doesn't have the option to disable head unit control. I was thinking of selling it and getting a new player that has this function. My previous HU was the CDA-9813. I've always used Alpine but not giving such an obvious option is just a bad decision.

18. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Yea RR, I don't think any Alpine iPod Units allow you to disable head unit control. I have the iDA-X305S and this allows me to use Pandora and I think it's a great setup. I don't mind using the head unit, it allows me to skip by letters so i can scroll down to like T real fast using that option and like I said the Pandora playback is amazing. It's a little expensive at $400.00 but well worth it!

19. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I don't think there is one...

20. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

This is the only way you can do it on an Alpine unit. You have to have a head unit that is bluetooth capable, you then have to install the bluetooth kit, then you can stream music to the head unit via bluetooth, I do it sometimes on my head unit but the sound isn't as loud as a straight hookup however the sound quality is pretty crisp.

So for all you Alpine people out there this is what you need:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/kce-400bt

21. bmms8 macrumors 68020

its kind of funny that you all want your music to be controlled by the phone while i was struggling to find a way to control pandora by the HU haha.

22. strodda macrumors regular

It's very inexpensive option. But I got the Dual brand receiver with a built in iPhone dock. It was on sale at frys for $50, and I didn't care about anything fancy. My car had already been stolen, so I wanted something cheap that I could consider disposable. Surprisingly, it sound pretty damn good, especially considering the crap 2way speakers I have.

[​IMG]

23. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Apparently you didn't read the thread.

24. carlili4190 macrumors regular

I have an Alpine IDA-X001... I can control the music via the iPhone(and do all other things on the iPhone while plugged in). The only problem is that when I plug in my iPhone 4 or newer generation iPods(Ones that can rotate I.E. iTouch, new Nano, etc...) is that the music will NOT play. I have to keep taking it out and putting it back in to play... Any ideas as to why? (I keep an iPod video plugged in w/NO problems what so ever)

25. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Car audio is my forte.

The best ipod friendly decks are by Kenwood Excelon. They bypass the iphone/ipod's craptacular DAC, and use the decks instead for superior sound quality.
    they let you choose how you want to control your music, either by the deck itself, or the ipod/iphone.
    The excelons are the best when it comes to controlling an ipod, and even have a search button on the face.

the X994 also has bluetooth for bt calling or a2dp, by Parrot.

the x794 is $100 cheaper, but doesnt have BT.

Sonicelectronix for a cheaper price, Crutchfield for full hassle free warrantys.

or buy from your local dealer if you cant install yourself.