Aftermarket gold plating or replacement casing, would you do it?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by betabeta, Mar 9, 2015.

1. betabeta macrumors 6502a

I'm sure there will be people offering gold plating and even gold replacement casing, that should be interesting.

I can see gold replacement casings custom done and installed for under 5k, gold plating I have no idea of cost since they may have to strip then coat with another metal before plating, but can't be more than 1k.

Can't wait to see how hard or maybe impossible it is to take apart and all the aftermarket customs, will be much more active than iPhone customs.

2. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

i bet you won't be able to take it apart and put it back together.

3. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Really, it will coast as much as the time/labour to strip and reassemble the thing.
    The gold plating price would vary from very very little up to a fair amount based upon how it's done.
    Honestly it does not have to cost much at all, the actual plating.
    If this thing comes apart reasonably easy, we don't know yet, there could be a pretty big industry plating these things, now that Apple has basically priced 95% of customers out of the gold look

4. quickcalibre macrumors regular

quickcalibre

It's only a matter of time before some swarthy internet company starts doing this for a ludicrous price.

However if you managed to take it apart yourself and gave the case to an independent jeweller, it wouldn't cost you anymore than £50 for them to plate it in gold.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Third parties will most certainly jump on the opportunity and even dye for example the pink Modern Buckle bright red while they're at it.

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Indeed.
    As I said a while ago, if Apple had priced the gold model reasonably so that they were within reach of more people then there would be little point in this option, but given what they have done, they've basically guaranteed the floodgates will open full force on Apple watch gold plating companies.

Bit of an own goal there, if they can work out how to get this apart and back together without too much of an issue, we could be in the funny situation of seeing Gold Apple watches absolutely everywhere after some time.

That would be hilarious :D

Apple is not dumb (well) and they much know this, so I do suspect they will have done everything they can to make sure this thing is sealed tight and has to be wrecked to get it apart.

Unless you can gold plate without taking it apart using a kit like this?

http://www.gold-plating-kits.co.uk/...ctroplating-kit-with-extras.html#.VP4-2NGzVhF

(lots of other companies do kits of all types of course, some much cheaper than this one)