Aftermarket SSD and hibernation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spooky69, Mar 8, 2011.

1. spooky69 macrumors member

Does anyone know which, if any, aftermarket SSDs will allow my MBP (i7, early 2010) to work as intended, allowing hibernation to work. It seems that Sandforce drives have a problem from what I have read.

2. AAPLGeek macrumors regular

I've heard Intel X25-M works without any such issues. I intend to get the same once i receive my MBP.

3. spooky69 thread starter macrumors member

Is it confirmed that there are no hibernation issues with the Intel? New 'G3' ones coming soon. How about Crucial C300?

4. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

The C300 has other issues (mostly firmware-related, like stuttering). I'd stay away. The C400 is just around the corner.

5. hystery macrumors member

Mine did have that very problem. Waking up from sleep used to take a long time like more than 5 minutes. Although after repeating clean OS installing (it was for other purposes though, luckily) it started to work without the issue. These days it doesn't happen at all, my MacBook Pro wakes up immediately.

2010 MacBook Pro "13 + X25-M.

6. shreddy macrumors regular

My 160gb X25-M works perfectly in my early '08 17" MBP. No sleep/wake problems whatsoever.

Awaiting arrival of a new 2011 model today :) and will be transplanting the SDD from old to new today/tomorrow...

7. spooky69 thread starter macrumors member

There are quite a few new drives about to hit the market but it seems too early to tell if Sandforce have overcome their problems with Macs. Call me old-fashioned, but I would like to pop in a new drive without losing some of my MBP's functionality. It would be nice if the SSD would work just as well as my current drive but faster.

So far it seems that Crucial have had problems, all Sandforce have had problems and the G2 Intel seems to have been most reliable but not the hottest performer for the money. I am speaking purely in relation to how they work (or don't) with Macs. Perhaps when Lion comes out things will improve if TRIM is there and supported for all drives that support TRIM (not just Apple drives). Do we know anything about this yet?

Obviously I will not get to enjoy the full 6Gb but it seems that I should still benefit from some of the improvements. Any thoughts or is it too early to tell?

8. AAPLGeek macrumors regular

Great!! Let us know if all goes fine. :)

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There are posts in the OWC SSD thread about people receiving the OWC SSD (which is Sandforce base) in the last couple weeks with a newer firmware and they still have the sleep/hibernation bug. Plus OWC has no OS X or boot CD-Rom installer, so if/when they come out with a firmware fix you will need to install Windows under bootcamp to update the firmware. No thanks.

For a SATAII MBP like the OP has, I would concur with the Intel X25 choice.

10. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

The only ones that work without issue are the x25m and apples stock ssds.

11. spooky69 thread starter macrumors member

I checked the Intel site and they also only seem to have Windows firmware update tools, so it's not just OWC that are not particularly Mac friendly.

I think OCZ offer a Linux tool that can work?

I have read that OWC are expecting to have another firmware release very soon - possibly next week. They are likely to be no good for me though as I am in the UK and don't particularly want to get into shipping stuff back to the US if I have a problem. The Mac issues seem to be related to Sandforce though and so if the OWC firmware fixes the issue then you would expect all Sandforce drives to offer the same fix.

It would be nice to see the G2 prices drop a bit given that the 510 are now available and a G3 is around the corner (apparently... still).

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The Intel tool is an .iso file that you burn to a CD and boot to it on your Mac to do the firmware update. From what I have read on the Intel and MacRumors forums it works fine on a Mac.

13. s2ksleepy macrumors newbie

Intel G2 160GB works with 2009 and 2011 13 MBP. No problems with sleep ever.