Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juandixon109

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
Any suggestions/pointers. Everyone is telling me I should do the upgrade myself to get a better/cheaper drive at the same time.

Zok

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2010
I've been struggling with ordering my new MBP due to the SSD issue. It's "only" $180 to upgrade to a 128 GB SSD BTO. Ever since the massive SSD sale NewEgg had last week (wish I had ordered then!) even "baseline" 100+GB SSDs like the 120 GB Agility are >$300. Granted, I'd have the HDD leftover for a backup disk or Optibay, but I'm not interested in either of these solutions.

What I'm most concerned about is if the new SSD options are any different, performance wise, than the old (slow) offerings. Slow = spend the extra $120+ on aftermarket. Decent = tossup. Fast = BTO.

juandixon109

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
I've been struggling with ordering my new MBP due to the SSD issue. It's "only" $180 to upgrade to a 128 GB SSD BTO. Ever since the massive SSD sale NewEgg had last week (wish I had ordered then!) even "baseline" 100+GB SSDs like the 120 GB Agility are >$300. Granted, I'd have the HDD leftover for a backup disk or Optibay, but I'm not interested in either of these solutions.

What I'm most concerned about is if the new SSD options are any different, performance wise, than the old (slow) offerings. Slow = spend the extra $120+ on aftermarket. Decent = tossup. Fast = BTO.

i took the 500 gb hdd default and will install some sort of newegg ssd 256(hopefully) (optibaying)removing my superdive.

Lyshen

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
California
Just got the new 15" i7 version, pulled it apart and just popped in Crucial C300 256GB. Now installing OSX, should be really nice.

I got the C300 in preparation and anticipation of new MBPs coming out. Although I kind of wish Crucial released the new firmware they are talking about in their forums.

For reliability though, Intel G2 is a definite safe bet. Got one for my wife's AluMacbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.