aftermarket SSD for new mbp 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by juandixon109, Apr 13, 2010.

1. juandixon109 macrumors member

Any suggestions/pointers. Everyone is telling me I should do the upgrade myself to get a better/cheaper drive at the same time.

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

3. Zok macrumors newbie

I've been struggling with ordering my new MBP due to the SSD issue. It's "only" $180 to upgrade to a 128 GB SSD BTO. Ever since the massive SSD sale NewEgg had last week (wish I had ordered then!) even "baseline" 100+GB SSDs like the 120 GB Agility are >$300. Granted, I'd have the HDD leftover for a backup disk or Optibay, but I'm not interested in either of these solutions.

What I'm most concerned about is if the new SSD options are any different, performance wise, than the old (slow) offerings. Slow = spend the extra $120+ on aftermarket. Decent = tossup. Fast = BTO.

4. juandixon109 thread starter macrumors member

i took the 500 gb hdd default and will install some sort of newegg ssd 256(hopefully) (optibaying)removing my superdive.

5. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Yes - raid those drives and you'll be pretty happy.

6. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

+1

/thread

7. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Just got the new 15" i7 version, pulled it apart and just popped in Crucial C300 256GB. Now installing OSX, should be really nice.

I got the C300 in preparation and anticipation of new MBPs coming out. Although I kind of wish Crucial released the new firmware they are talking about in their forums.

For reliability though, Intel G2 is a definite safe bet. Got one for my wife's AluMacbook.