Aftermarket SSD install possible on new iMac (2011)?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sunday Ironfoot, May 3, 2011.

1. Sunday Ironfoot macrumors regular

I'm ready to buy an iMac but one thing is holding me back. I really want an SSD, but can't wait 4-6 weeks. Is there any definite confirmation on whether an aftermarket SSD install is possible? Is it just the same as the 2010 model (requires a bracket etc.).

Is doing this king of surgery on your iMac dangerous in any way (as in damage the iMac, void warranty etc.)?

I was thinking of getting an Intel 300GB 310 series SSD, good choice?

2. cthomas1489 macrumors newbie

I think I'm in the same boat as you. I'd love to just have apple do it but I can't really wait 4-6 weeks. I'm hoping it's not a
    blade SSD.

3. Uhu macrumors member

the apple guy I ordered my imac today advised my to do such an aftermarket upgrade at an apple retailer. I highly doubt it is a blade SSD

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

5. Sunday Ironfoot thread starter macrumors regular

6. squat macrumors newbie

I have just spoken to a kind sales person at apple (germany) regarding exactly this matter. He spoke to the technical department before confirming that one could pick up the imac with 1 or 2 TB HDD today and bring it back to them or to one of their partners for an SSD upgrade.

My Q: so after the later upgrade, HDD+SSD would be installed together and not only the HDD swapped out for SSD? His Answer: yes
    My Q: will there be an "SSD upgrade offer" of any kind? Answer: we or our partner will be able to offer you a descent and performing SSD

and of course the warranty is not void as it would be if i had to implement the SSD myself (besides the lack of enough abilitys for such a task)

So i will probably go and pick up my imac tomorrow with 1 or 2 TB HDD (still have to decide) and get the SSD upgrade in 4 to 6 weeks, when supplies are less restrained. It will be the 27'' / i7 / 4GB RAM / AMD 2GB / 1 or 2 TB and SSD for later