Aftermarket SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingh, Feb 26, 2011.

1. kingh macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Anyone know where to get a reasonably priced aftermarket SSD for the new macbook pros?

I am in the market for a 128GB or 256GB SSD but from apple they are way too overpriced.

Thanks

2. dta macrumors newbie

Apple's SSD prices don't look that overpriced this time. But of course if you can find a better SSD with a similar price go for aftermarket. OCZ Vertex 3 is coming.

3. incongruity macrumors member

Given that the upgrade to a 128 GB SSD only costs $100 when ordering from Apple, I'm not sure where you think you can find a cheaper option – I sure can't and I'm somewhat reconsidering my choice to not get it.

The 256 GB upgrade seems basically on-par with 3rd party offerings - so that's a toss-up. Get it from Apple and get the warranty or get the std. drive and get an SSD from a third party and have the original drive as an extra/external.

Personally, I'm considering re-ordering and getting the 128 GB SSD and then swapping out the optical drive for a std. drive. That'd allow me to keep the OS and apps on the SSD + swap space and then all my user files on the 2nd drive. Doing that is about $100 cheaper going from Apple rather than a complete aftermarket option.

4. bossmanjunior macrumors member

bossmanjunior

wait for the ocz vertex 3, if you know whats good for you. 500 read/write, 256GB $499.

and boom goes the dynamite