Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Wondering if anyone has any experience with the OULUOQI black stainless steel bracelet. Amazon has two that seem similar, one for $80 and one for $70. Does anyone know what the difference is between them and if they are good? There are mixed reviews on Amazon, but would like some MacRumors reviews if anyone has one. Thanks!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I can't attest to that specific link bracelet. I do know that there have been forum members stating that they have had good experiences with that particular brand with the link bracelet. And I recognize that brand name, because it's such a unique name to it. If no one replies to your thread, I would search through the threads, I believe somebody started a thread on that specific brand a few months back.

Reactions: BullittMustang

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
I bought the OULUOQI silver link band for $70. It had good reviews in the 3rd party band thread. For the price, I love it. No gaps around the watch and the band itself seems pretty tight. I am having an issue with the clasp. It's difficult unlatch one side of it. I emailed support and they are sending me a new clasp from China. That's one thing I read in the reviews. If someone posted an issue, they responded quickly and resolved the issue. Then, the reviewer would correct their rating.

I've read in this forum where some people post a band as being 3rd,4th,5th generation. They say it's listed as part of the description. OULUOQI doesn't seem to post a generational description. I was a little perplexed by the price differences as well and wonder if the higher priced ones are either newer generations or just an attempt to sell at a higher price to those who don't look.

A co-worker has the black stainless steel bracelet I believe he bought from OULUOQI. He's had it since December and has no complaints. Support from OULUOQI seems to be good, may be worth giving it a shot!

Liam_89

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2016
Durham, UK
I have an Ontube one from amazon uk
For my 42mm Series 1,
Looks great and no silver shows in between the links either,
I love it...

Ontube For Apple Watch Band Series 1 Series 2, Stainless Steel Watch Strap Link Bracelet with Double Button Folding Clasp For iwatch band (Not Fit iWatch 38mm) Black 42mm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IYB0Y84/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_rYvXyb4ZNS9BJ

Attachments

• IMG_2393.JPG
    IMG_2393.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 379
  • IMG_2395.JPG
    IMG_2395.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 354

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Thanks for the replies! I'm going to see if I can find an Apple bracelet on eBay. If I don't have any luck in the next couple weeks, I think I may go for the OULUOQI.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I have an Ontube one from amazon uk
For my 42mm Series 1,
Looks great and no silver shows in between the links either,
I love it...

Ontube For Apple Watch Band Series 1 Series 2, Stainless Steel Watch Strap Link Bracelet with Double Button Folding Clasp For iwatch band (Not Fit iWatch 38mm) Black 42mm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IYB0Y84/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_rYvXyb4ZNS9BJ
how adjustable is this? On 2 straight link bracelets, I've been stuck with a size thats too big or loose, or too tight

edit- well this doesn't ship to the US. Oh well.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia

Perhaps that's because it was the UK Amazon store. I just searched the US store and found this. Looks like the same thing. One thing I noticed about the band is it looks like the links remove the traditional way where you have to push in a pin. The Apple and other knock offs I've seen (and have) have a button on each link to remove it.

https://www.amazon.com/Ontube-Stain...EINC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489348504&sr=8-1

Liam_89

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2016
Durham, UK
how adjustable is this? On 2 straight link bracelets, I've been stuck with a size thats too big or loose, or too tight

I had to remove 6 links, 3 from each side and it seems to fit fine,
Just adjust it until your happy with the fit

Reactions: ZebraDude

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I had to remove 6 links, 3 from each side and it seems to fit fine,
Just adjust it until your happy with the fit
2 bands I've bought from amazon I adjusted but were either too tight or too loose.

Its a gamble really for me with steel bands. Sucks

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Its a gamble really for me with steel bands. Sucks
Same here, but some bracelets have more adjustability than others, too. This is the sacrifice that was made for Apple's super-easy pushbutton links, and not every bracelet manufacturer has included good adjustability in their more-standard bracelets, either.

Some would have half-links, which usually measure as "2/3rds links". My Citizen's bracelet is like this. Let's say a standard link is 6 mm (to keep the math simple); the half-link would actually be 4 mm. You could use combinations with two "half" links to get increments of 2 mm: 2 whole links = 12 mm; 1 whole + 1 half = 10mm; 2 half links = 8 mm; 1 whole = 6 mm (naturally).

Many bracelets, like my Seiko's, include micro-adjust pin holes in their clasps. These are about 2-3 mm apart and help fill the gap between full link sizes.

If I'm not going to get Apple's bracelet, I wouldn't get a third-party bracelet that didn't have some microadjust capacity, either.

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Well, I ordered the OULUOQI black stainless steel. On sale at Anazon for $69.99. I'll post back here once I get it. I really wanted the Apple band, but just could spend $550. Hopefully this one will be good.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Well, I ordered the OULUOQI black stainless steel. On sale at Anazon for $69.99. I'll post back here once I get it. I really wanted the Apple band, but just could spend $550. Hopefully this one will be good.

I have their silver stainless band. It's fantastic! It did come with an issue where one side clasp wouldn't release easily. But a quick email to OULUOQI and they sent me a new clasp. Customer service is great with them. Enjoy it!

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
I received my OULUOQI band today. Super fast free shipping, delivered on Sunday. It is very nice. The only issue I have is that the clap is not 100% flush and leaves a very slight raised edge. Other than that, this band is very good for the money. I emailed the company about the clasp, I'll see what they say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.